how to create a new thread using carbon c++?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by chidambaram, Apr 3, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I am working in carbon c++ application using XCode in MAC Machine.

I have to create two new threads in my program.

How can i create a thread and use it in my program.

Please give some sample samples.

Thanks in advance and urgent plz.........

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for ur reply..

Is it possible to place function PosixThreadMainRoutine (which in given in the program of your link) in a class.

If i use that function as member function then following errors will occur

1. ISO c++ forbids taking the address of an unqualified or parenthesized non-static member function to form a pointer to member function. Say '&MainWindow::posixThreadMainRoutine'

2. Cannot convert 'void*(MainWindow::*)(void*)' to 'void*(*)(void*)' for argument 3 to int pthread_create(_opaque-pthread_t**,const pthread_attr_t*,void*(*)(void*),void*)'

In my class i declared the function as

void * PosixThreadMainRoutine(void*)

I called that function as

void MainWindow::posixThreadMainRoutine(void *data)
    {
    printf("This is function");

}

4. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't think you can have it call directly into a C++ function, but the callback function can take a pointer to some user data, which you set in the last argument of pthread_create(). I don't have an example but you need to set the argument to "this" and then reference that inside the thread.

5. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Find a good tutorial about pthreads. There are plenty on the web. Most explain how to do what you want to do. Here's what you do: Write your class. In the implementation of the class, write a static function (not a class member, a plain static function) posix_thread_func that has the form that you need for the posix thread. In some class member function you will create the thread; that member function will create the posix thread and pass posix_thread_func and its own "this" pointer to the thread creation. As a result, posix_thread_func will be called with "this" as its argument. Cast the argument to the proper class pointer, and you are there.