How to create .iso?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Philberttheduck, Aug 26, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    I'm going off to college and i wanted to get all my dvd collections onto an external hdd. i know of mactheripper but i wanna be able to rip it, in case there's a big screen for everyone to enjoy on.

so how would i be able to create a .iso or anything that i can burn onto a dvd later? thx much
  2. macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2007
    Wisconsin der hey
    handbrake rips then converts into a playable format.
    it does the extra step that mactheripper doesn't
  3. macrumors 68000

Apr 10, 2007
    On a Mac, you'll probably want an .img or .dmg file, as opposed to a .iso.

You need a program to take the ripped movie, compress it, then make a disc image. DVD2OneX does both those steps. It's worth the money. Use Mactheripper to rip the movie to your hard drive, then d2ox to compress it and save it as a .img file (or maybe it does .dmg). Then, whenever you want to burn it to a DVD, just use Disk Utility.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2008
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    I agree with Dimwit, Mactheripper to DVD2OneX is a great combo. But just as a side note, you can watch the DVD after ripped by mactheripper just "as is". It'll rip the video_TS and audio_TS folders which you can play in apple DVD. Only downside is the file will most likely be huge (like 8 gigs depending on dvd). That's where DVD2OneX comes in, to compress it to fit on 4.7 gig DVDs.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2004
    I also use Mactheripper and DVD2OneX - they work great!