How to create list names of folders into Word or PDF ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vim147, Mar 30, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2011
    I have over 300 music albums in folders that i want to create a list of.

Is there anyway i can create a list onto a word, excel or pdf format either on mac or pc ?

It'd take too long to copy and paste all the folders so looking for a easy option.
  2. macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
  3. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Assuming the folder names are the album names and they're all in the same parent folder:
    1. Open the parent folder in Finder
    2. Put a single space character in the Finder search field
    3. Select the parent folder in the search location
    4. Click the + under the search field to add search criteria
    5. Select "Kind" is "Folder" to select only the folders and not their contents
    6. Command-A to select all
    7. Command-C to copy
    8. Open TextEdit
    9. Command-Shift-T to change format to plain text
    10. Command-V to paste
    These steps work in Snow Leopard. They may need to be modified slightly in ML.
  4. macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    Paste the below command into Terminal and hit enter. That will put a text file called "mymusic.txt" on your Desktop listing everything in your Music folder. If the files are elsewhere, just change the ~/Music part to the path/folder containing the songs.

Then you can look at that mymusic.txt text file in Textedit or Word etc.

ls -R ~/Music > ~/Desktop/mymusic.txt
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2011
    I just want to create the names of the albums which are all in folders on my usb drive. Not list all individual mp3 songs i have.
  6. macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    Ah... okay. So you have one folder then in that folder you have subfolders that are the album titles... yes?

Open Terminal then type cd followed by a space, then drag the folder into the Terminal window and hit enter. This will get you in the correct folder in Terminal. Then run the command below.

ls -d */ > ~/Desktop/mymusic.txt