How to cut and join a lossless file

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cyberpunk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

How to cut and join an apple lossless file? If I import an aiff file into audacity edit it an export as aiff will this lose quality?

2. simsaladimbamba

Audacity will do the trick, and no to your last question, as AIFF is an uncompressed format.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that Lossless to lossless will not result in quality loss. much appreciated.

4. simsaladimbamba

Though lossless is not the same as uncompressed, just to be clear. ;)

5. macrumors G4

With lossless files the quality will remain the same if al you do in the editor is cut out a section. But if the cut is done poorly you will introduce a "click" or "pop". One might argue that introducing an artifact is degrading the sound.

But make the cut on a zero crossing and you will not introdce the click

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciated.

How do I do the same but with an mp3 or other lossy file without the loss in audio fidelity?

7. macrumors member

SteppingStone

There are utilities which will allow you to concatenate mp3 files without decoding/re-encoding the files, so there's no loss in quality.

If you want to do more than than, i.e. actually cut out a segment from one and concatenate it with another file, I believe you'll need to decode the data first using some editor which understands mp3 (e.g. Audacity). This will degrade quality since you then need to re-encode it after doing the cut/paste work.