How to deal with Apple when it comes to...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Earendil, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

...Fixing problems with my laptop?

So I bought my beautiful 1.25 Alum PB back in Nov of last year. In feb I started getting white spots. Well I couldn't sacrifice my PB then, plus I had a planned trip to Costa Rica for 6 weeks and I was taking my PB. No use sending it in before taking it to another country where other "manufacture defects" might be "discovered" :eek:

So here am, laxidaisly thinking about sending it in again, when I realize I basically have a month before college starts :eek:

So I'm thinking "weeeel Sh*t...."

So who do I call to take care of this? Do I call tech support, or as this is a known issue, can I bypass those monkeys and get someone that will help me out asap?

How long does it normally take to send a computer in, before you get it back again? How should I ship it, or will they send me a box? I've never had to deal with any problem with my Mac, so this is all very new, and I'm scared :(

Anyway, any advice, numbers to call, best people to deal with ect ect would be WONDERFUL!

Thank you two any and all who reply,
    Tyler Z.
    Earendil

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Call 1-800-APL-CARE or take your powerbook to an Apple Store (if there is one near you). If you go an Apple Store they will ship your powerbook off for repairs. If you call in, they will overnight a box to you. Most repairs are done very quickly, unless a part is out of stock. It wouldn't be unheard of to call Apple on Monday, receive a box Tuesday, and have your computer back by Friday.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Yeah, turnaround time of less than a week is typical. We have two potential issues though: While Apple will fix your computer for a year under warranty, they will only give free telephone support for the first 90 days. So if you have an Apple Store near by it's best to bring it there and avoid paying for support. Kinda BS, but that's how it is. The other issue is the number of white spots. They're stuck pixels and Apple considers a certain amount of them to be acceptable. So if you only have 1 or 2 they won't do anything. Much more than a half dozen and they'll replace the screen. They have a magic number of pixels, but they're not telling anybody what it is.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I think the amount is 4 or 5 dead pixels and they will fix your screen. But i could be wrong, it might be as much as 7, anything over that is rediculous.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Go to an Apple store. I had to send my PB out a few weeks ago. Mostly for an audio issue (stupid lightning) but they also replaced my display, which had a white spot. I sent it out on Tuesday, and got it back Friday (minus my AirPort and BlueTooth reception :rolleyes: ) That includes an entire day when it was on hold so they could ask whether I wanted to pay for some case anomalies that weren't covered.