How to delete partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bored911, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

Hi,

I created a partition for Ubuntu, which i ended up not installing. Anyone know how to delete that parition easily. thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It's easy, re-Partition your hard drive (only way). :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Disk Utility is the hard way. iPartition and a few companies have an easier, non-destructive way to do it.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Are there freeware programs to delete partitions without wiping the drive(s) in question?

I had a 160GB drive installed temporarily on an early firewire bus and it automatically partitioned it to 128GB. So, when I put it in my powerbook there's now a partition of about 20GB which is unusable.

Rather than cloning a spare drive, wiping the new one in the powerbook and then cloning back on to that, I'd prefer just to delete the partition if possible. :)

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know of any freeware applications but you can check MacUpdate and VersionTracker.

6. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

i booted from the install cd, but i got nothing, it would only let me clear it, not delete the actual partition.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Mate, I just used the free VolumeWorks demo and it worked a treat. You have to boot off a different drive to the one you want to partition, and a backup drive is highly recommended just in case (cloned mine using SuperDuper), but it did the trick. Very straightforward.

Download VolumeWorks here. Read the instructions just in case.

Thanks bousozoku :)

8. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

thanks, i'll try it when i get home. (this is the first time i have been happy that i bought a 60 dollar, 120gb backup HD. It's slow but it works)

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Excellent. I had no trouble with erasing the partition, but a backup really is just in case. :)

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

The first few lines of that guide are enough to put me off trying a resize with diskutil. Not really recommended if you're not comfy with terminal wouldn't you say?