How to Delete "Previous Systems" folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pipian, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    I put it in the Trash, but it refuses to delete it. It doesn't throw an error, or anything, it just stays there, even doing a secure delete. Any Help? Thanks
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Note: be VERY VERY careful when you do this.
    Move the folder into a folder in your home folder.
    Next, open Terminal, wait for it to login (a second or two should do)
    you'll see Computername:~ $username (bash) or [Computername:~] username% (tcsh).
    Either way, type rm -rf and drag the Previous Systems folder to the Terminal window. hit return. It may say "override rw--r-r" (or something like that) and then have a filename. If that happens, hit cmd-period, hit the up arrow once, and then scroll to the beginning of the line (using the left arrow) and add in sudo (space). Hit return and enter your password. Violá, it's gone!

I bet you wish I remember the easier way :D
  3. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    all i did to delete it was delete everything in it, do get info, then go to the ownership and permissions section, change it so i could read and write, put it in the trash and do empty trash (maybe it was secure empty trash) :)
  4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Our 700 computers are set up with root activated.
    I am root.
    I am god.
    I can kill.
    (And the password is called "god's password") :)
    That's the easiest way. I don't let my users toss ANYTHING that's not in their docs folder.
    Just go to NetInfo Manager and activate root. Just know that afterward you will have "the power". Use it wisely my friend, for one wrong move and you could be cast into darkness.... literally.
    Okay, enough of the morning metaphors Les.
  5. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    Thanks! The Sudo worked. I didn't remember the command in Unix, so I was just trying to do it in OS X Proper!

Many thanks