How to delete unwanted Printer Drivers ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sepu, Dec 8, 2006.

1. sepu macrumors regular

Hey guys

yep my title said all ... so I wonder how can I do that ?
    Other thing for example if I dont use GarageBand or Iwork I just delete them from the application folder ? and that's it ? or there is other hide folder that I have to delete ?

Thanks.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Garageband and iWork have folders in the Library>Application Support folder, Library>Printers has the drivers.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Here are my recommendations:

- remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

That should just about do it. :cool:

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, don't use Monolingual. Use the other one (which I've forgotten the name of) if you don't want to break Rosetta.

5. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

what happend if I break rosetta ? will my system crash ? sorry for my ignorance but Im new to Mac OSX, and Im asking because I already used that program to delete a lot of the languages that I dont use ....

thanks

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're on an Intel system, it'll prevent you from being able to run any PowerPC apps (eg. Office), requiring a reinstall of OS X. If you're on a PowerPC system, it won't have any effect.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the head's up on this Nermal, I was not aware of this being a PPC user myself. ;) I'll keep this in mind when the question comes up again (as it inevitably will... ;))

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you ran Monolingual once, I wouldn't bother running again as I have heard something about problems with Rosetta. I'm not on an intel mac, so I'm not up to speed on the exact problems, but search the forums and you can probably find the relevant threads (fingers crossed).

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It looks as though the problem stems form the "Architectures" tab. If you remove that (G3, G4, G5) then yes, you will have issues running anything PPC-based via Rosetta. That being said, it appears as though if you leave the Architectures tab alone you might be okay... I'm not 100% sure about that though... :eek:

10. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Guys ... I might have to then reinstall OSX .... we will see I have a few thing that run PPC ... so I guess that's why they run so buggy ... maybe ...
    thanks anyways.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They won't be "buggy" if you've screwed up Rosetta; they won't run at all. They'll just bounce in the Dock once then quit, I believe.

12. dolphin1 macrumors member

App Zapper

Is App Zapper worth it? It's not that expensive and it seems like a cool little tool. I've had such issues with finding all the hidden files when I want to trash something. The last go around, I wanted to trash a browser and replace it with another one and I must have trashed some of the folders for the new browser because I ended up losing them both! I had to do an archive/reinstall off the CD to get a browser back.
    Not a big deal but I did loose all my bookmarks. Luckily I have another mac and I could import them off that one.

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Haha.. I tried monolingual on my G4 iMac. (10.3.9). Suddenly Skype wouldn't start anymore, and iChatUSBcam didn't work, so iChat didn't recognize my Icecam. Seems even though I've set my computer to Norwegian language, some programs required the english files.. :( Just a heads-up incase anyone else thinks as I did..

14. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

AppZapper's an excellent convenience. I didn't quite see the point in it originally - OS X's drive layout is sensible enough that it's pretty trivial to scout around and trash an application and its related data. However, it's really nice to have an app that'll do that for you.

When space was tight on my MacBook Pro and I needed more in a hurry, I grabbed the trial of AppZapper so I could nuke GarageBand and its multi-gig loops and demo songs. Worked great. Plus, it removes the receipt file so OS X doesn't think the app's already installed when you want to re-install it.

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for providing this head's up. Yes indeed, as with any program, you need to make sure you know what you're doing before you use it. :cool:

16. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Yup.. :) The reason I like Mac's is because you don't really have to do any of this. So I don't know why I did. Anyways, now it's all back up. Skype beta still don't work, but the official version works. Good enough for me. :)

As a sidenote. After reformatting and reinstalling, I realized I didn't turn off my iTunes authorization before starting. I thought one of the 5 licenses would be gone, but it's not. I authorized the "new" iTunes, and I still had the rest of my licenses left. iTunes must have realized it's on the same computer as the one having one of the certificates earlier.. cool. :D