How to designate Master and Slave machines when syncing Safari bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Whackintosh, Mar 19, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

My Imac and MBP have differently-organized Safari bookmarks. I'd like to synch them so that Safari bookmarks on my MBP (and my iPhone and iPad) mirror the order and content that I've set up on my iMac.

Is there a way to set things up so that this happens, without risking my iMac bookmarks being re-ordered to mirror those of my MBP?

2. macrumors 6502a

If there are no bookmarks you need to preserve on your iMac, how about just deleting them all before you sync with the MBP?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

It's actually the opposite - I want my MBP, iPad and iPhone to replicate the bookmarks that I have organized on my iMac.

----------

Would deleting all bookmarks from the other machines before synching be the way to go then?

4. macrumors 6502a

Sorry for getting it backwards. Yes, the same principle applies.

I suggest you backup the bookmarks on both your MBP and iMac before you do this. Safari > File > Export Bookmarks. For your iOS devices... Bookmarks are part of a regular backup, so just be sure you have a recent backup for each before you start deleting. While all should be well, it never hurts to cover yourself.