How to determine if I have enough RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xcalibur, Oct 29, 2006.

1. xcalibur macrumors member

Apr 29, 2003
    Kuala Lumpur
    I can't seem to remember but I recall someone mentioning something about pageins/outs? I have tried searching in various places and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
  2. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    Check your pageouts in Activity Monitor (under System Memory). I think having 0 pageouts after a few days of computer usage is a good sign you have enough RAM.
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Someguy gave you the general answer (although the other common answer is that you can never have too much RAM). Are you getting beachballing, do programs seem sluggish and take forever to open, is Exposé creeping? Then you could use use more RAM. If you are satisfied with how your computer performs then you have enough.
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I would always suggest getting as much RAM as your system can hold but the fella to the top gave you a good response.

As long as you can do your task on your computer without major lag then you are good for the most part.

5. keyshawn macrumors member

Aug 23, 2005
    Eek !!! :eek:

I had 1178 pageouts (yes, the denominator....) !
    (and I only had the computer running for a few minutes, I had firefox 2.0 with a couple tabs open and neooffice with one open file.) (When I started up itunes and started playing a file, it went up to 6588 pageouts !!!)

I have a iBook G4 (with 512 MB ram), released Aug. 2005: do I already need more RAM ?! :(
    It seems as if it has only been slower in the past month or two...

Is there any other maintenance (besides running onyx) that I do to help speed it up to its old shape ?!

6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    I agree with this idea to a point. But it's also important to remember that all modern 32/64 bit operating systems are designed to page in and out regardless with how much free ram the machine has. So while lower or no pageouts means a goodly amount of ram, any number of pageouts doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough ram. As others have said, if nothing seems sluggish while you're running a few programs, you probably have enough ram.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Don't worry, it's not that catastrophic having pageouts. I have 392598 pageouts and I have 2GB of RAM, but that's after 21 days uptime.

Still, most people will notice the difference between 512MB of RAM and 1GB, and if you get lots of pageouts with normal use, like you seem to do, then you'll certainly benefit from it. The most common symptoms of too little RAM is lag when switching between apps and activating expose.
  8. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    Damn... 271946. And yes, it is a bit sluggish (although I run probably 5 programs simultaneously on average).

How do I go about getting more RAM? I have 512 MB RAM for my Aug 2005 17" Powerbook G4. Is it a quick operation? Do the Apple Stores do it themselves?
  9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Heh, I run like 10-20 at once on 768MB. It gets a tad sluggish sometimes.

I'd order it online personally. and are good sources.

Probably, but it'll cost more.
  10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    have a look here. It's not that hard to do, but some find it daunting
  11. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Heh, i have 380531 page-out, in a 9 day uptime with my 1.5 GBs RAM. Though I got most of those page-outs during my Aperture/Photoshop session :D

Definately upgrade RAM in your iBook to at least 1 GB, you'll appreciate it.