How to disable Quartz 2D Extreme?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PedroQ, May 12, 2005.

1. PedroQ macrumors member

I've just activated Q2DE on my iMac G5, and since i'm a new mac user i really don't know how to turn it off now. I've opened a terminal window and entered sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES. Can someone help please?

2. dirtymatt macrumors member

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean NO

Makes sense, huh?

Have you been experiencing problems with it enabled, or would you just rather not have to worry about it as a new user?

3. brap macrumors 68000

You're serious?

Change YES to NO. Logout, then log back in to apply changes.
    To check, enter the command:
    Code:
    defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled
    On returns 1, off returns 0.

4. PedroQ thread starter macrumors member

:) Thanks! That was the first thing I thought about, quite obvious actually! But I was a bit afraid I'd screw up something.

I didn't notice much of an improvement, except Exposé being a bit smoother and the scrolling in Safari being faster. There must be a good reason why Apple has it disabled by default, so i guess it's safer to leave it that way and wait for coming updates. Once again, thank you.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Neither of those work, and I can't even get it to show me if I have it disabled/enabled! Just gives an error about a directory or something. Tiger with Xcode here :D