How to disable Quartz 2D Extreme?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PedroQ, May 12, 2005.

1. PedroQ macrumors member

May 12, 2005
    I've just activated Q2DE on my iMac G5, and since i'm a new mac user i really don't know how to turn it off now. I've opened a terminal window and entered sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES. Can someone help please?
  2. dirtymatt macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean NO

Makes sense, huh?

Have you been experiencing problems with it enabled, or would you just rather not have to worry about it as a new user?
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    You're serious?

Change YES to NO. Logout, then log back in to apply changes.
    To check, enter the command:
    defaults read /Library/Preferences/ Quartz2DExtremeEnabled
    On returns 1, off returns 0.
  4. PedroQ thread starter macrumors member

May 12, 2005
    :) Thanks! That was the first thing I thought about, quite obvious actually! But I was a bit afraid I'd screw up something.

I didn't notice much of an improvement, except Exposé being a bit smoother and the scrolling in Safari being faster. There must be a good reason why Apple has it disabled by default, so i guess it's safer to leave it that way and wait for coming updates. Once again, thank you.
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Neither of those work, and I can't even get it to show me if I have it disabled/enabled! Just gives an error about a directory or something. Tiger with Xcode here :D