Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
How to disable spell check in browser?
everytime i login using my username or google something like a name safari automatically underlines it saying i spelt it wrong

its annoying

how can i turn this featuer off?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
easy peezy japanesey... hehe i just watched The Shawshank Redemption... if you dont get it dont worry

anyway back on topic. to disable spell checking in safari:

edit -> spelling and grammar -> check spelling while typing

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm surprised that you've got this issue. I have yet to see a user name box that invokes the spell checker. And the Google search box in Safari certainly does not.

Thomazzo

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
How to disable spell check in browser?
everytime i login using my username or google something like a name safari automatically underlines it saying i spelt it wrong

its annoying

how can i turn this featuer off?

Just control-click inside the textbox and a contextual menu will appear.
Then select "Spelling and Grammar" and uncheck the "Check Spelling While Typing" option.

(took me quite a while to figure this out...) :eek:

johnegood

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Hi I run the leading spelling website on the web and I'm having trouble with safari. Right now, our solution is to tell people to use a different browser.

The problem is that the automatic spell checker underlines each word that is spelt wrong, wrecking the test.

Is there a way for us to label the box: "Do not spell check!"

Or, does anyone have any clever workarounds for it?

I'm mayor @ spellingcity.com

The site is SpellingCity.com

reginaldsnoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
I'm surprised that you've got this issue. I have yet to see a user name box that invokes the spell checker. And the Google search box in Safari certainly does not.
No, you havent yet to see one, you just saw one. :0)The most useful thing to do here is answer peoples requests

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.