How to display lyrics in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

With the addition of lyrics, can iTunes display them in a karaoke-style fashion? For example, scroll the lyrics across the screen with visualizations? Or is this an iPod-only dainty?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

iTunes 8 we will see such a feature. I'm so bullcrapping right now.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'd like to know how you got your iPod to scroll the lyrics as the song plays. I've got lyrics in there, but they don't scroll.

As for displaying lyrics, I use pearLyrics. It "listens" to iTunes and automatically displays the lyrics. That's as close as it gets right now, I'm afraid.

4. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it read the lyrics from the iTunes track information, or does it look it up on the Web? The problem with a huge majority of my music is that it is a specific niche, and I've had to dig (sometimes exhaustively) around the 'Net for them.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

it will read it from the track first, and if it can't find it there, it will search the web for it. I've had pretty good success with it. There's a widget and a stand alone app, so you can choose whichever you'd like.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The iPod can't scroll the lyrics with the song. It can only display them when you click the Select button 4-5 times to bring up the lyrics screen, if the song playing even has lyrics associated with it in iTunes.

7. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW! Thanks for pointing out this gem!

That's what I love about being a Mac user...all kinds of creative developers making nifty software.
    :)

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

There are several widgets out there that simply display lyrics, but I haven't found many of them to work well.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What do you guys mean by, "lyrics associated with the song"?? Do you mean they're included with the .mp3 file itself? And how would I display them in iTunes?

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Abstract,

They are stored in the ID3 file for the mp3 and will transfer to other computers if you share your files with another person, for instance. You can access the lyrics in the iTunes 5.x or 6.x by "Get Info"ing for a song, and going to the lyrics tab. I imagine that someday there will be a panel or drawer to display the lyrics directly in the iTunes window...right now, you have to view them in a separate pop up window or a separate app.

11. Frazzydee macrumors newbie

12. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Still waiting. I wouldn't mind paying for a 3rd party tool