How to dispose of old PC?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJoe, Nov 1, 2004.

1. iJoe macrumors member

Hey all,

I need a (fun, preferably) way to get rid of an old PC, now I've switched. I've already given one to charity and want to know what to do with the other one. It really isn't worth sh.t, so I may as well vent my anger on it.

Bonfire night is coming up, so fireworks are at my disposal. I also have a first floor window, but I'm afraid it'll crack the slabs in my back garden (aren't I rock and roll?)

Any suggestions?

(and isn't it odd how switchers hate Microsoft more than life-long Apple diehards... Usually because the diehards haven't had the use their software everyday)

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

A long time ago when my old 33.6kpbs modem gave up the ghost, I trashed it with a big axe. It felt reaaallly nice, since it's been causing me nought but headaches.

Not suggesting that you should do the same thing ;) Fireworks sounds nice.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

1) You could use it for target practice with a .357

2) You could give it to somebody you really don't like and make them think you are being kind to them

3) You could use it as a boat anchor

4) You could sell it on eBay :p

4. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

toss it in the air and hope it lands on Bill Gates head?

5. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I can understand the desire to vent your frustration, but if it's still working, another charity donation would be preferable. If not, try and find a local computer recycling plant, so as to limit the environmental impact of disposal.

Failing that, defenestration sounds like the most fun. :D

6. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

One is currently growing stuff inside it in the back garden. This one still doesn't work either, might grow stuff in it too. But I want to have some fun with it first.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Borrow this guy's gun. Have fun!

Fireworks....oooh.... take a video and post it please!

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

personally i am all about accelerating old PCs. you can really work wonders with modern acceleration technology. the easiest way to accelerate an old PC is to find the tallest object around. and take the computer to the top of it. parking garages work well b/c there is usually concrete at the bottom. once at the top of the tall structure hold the computer over the edge, let go of the computer and watch the acceleration. the best part though is the deceleration. it is usually rather sudden (here is where the concrete at the bottom comes in). have a friend video tape this. but make sure they are standing far away and wearing eye protection!

fireworks sound like a good idea, but you may need a lot of them to do any damage to a metal case. if you could get ahold of some liquid oxygen then youd be set.

go to a pawn shop. buy an old lawn mower that works. find a nice big green open field (like in the background that is with windows XP) mow the computer. (again have a friend video tape but you should BOTH wear eye protection!) wow all the ideas tonight. i could go on, but i will stop. i hope you enjoy, please let us know the outcome!

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm all for giving it to those less fortunate. It wouldn't be fair to blow it up.

I hope you feel guilty if you do :p :D.

scem0

11. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

I just gave an old Pentium 233 w/ 64MB RAM to a neighbor. It served me well, and I hope it will do well for her and her daughter.

But with all the time I spent updating .dll files, zapping spyware and restarting after BSDs, I wanted nothing more than to put my foot right through the m!$@^# F&#*$%'s monitor! Jezus, I hated that computer.

But the altruist in me won out, so I gave it to the less fortunate.

I once took a baseball bat to an old AppleWriter II (I think that's what it was – the G5-tower sized dot matrix printer that sold in the era of the Apple ][) in the hallway of my dorm. The damned thing chewed up a report and really pissed me off. Besides, it was the late 90's and I should have trashed the thing years before.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, i find any old pc can be accelerated around 9.8m/s/s to make it on par with the newest of pcs' acceleration. oh what? processors are measured in mhz?....oops...

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. aplasticspork macrumors regular

overclock it to 5.0 Ghz without liquid nitrogen :eek: :D :cool:
    --andrzej

16. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

I won't feel guilty blowing it up, It's already caught fire once... Except it was inside my house.

I got to blow up liquid oxygen once... wow! My favourite explosive, no doubt.:p

I think it's gonna meet it's maker via fireworks on friday, but I'll give that list someone posted consideration...

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Oooooo... pictures, pictures... please, please!
    We all want to live vicariously through you!

18. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

I've just sprung for a 20" iMac, with all the bells & whistles, you think I've got enough money left for a camera? Wrong!

I do want to get one though, and I suppose I could hold off desecrating it until I've got it...

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Accelerate the PC, the best way is at 9.8 m/s^2 ... :cool:

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Go to your friendly neighborhood firearms range. Preferably, a rifle range.

Set it up at 10 m. Shoot.
    Move it to 20 m. Shoot.
    Move it around and post back the results of your shooting.

Or,

Take it apart and feed it piece by piece into an old garbage disposal.

Or,

Duct-tape a crud load of fireworks inside. Trail fuses out, or at least connect then and then trail one fuse out. Close case. Duct-tape the case so that nothing can escape. That means all ports, etc, need to be sealed.
    Light the fuse.
    Run fast.
    Hope friend with video camera is far enough away.
    Watch fireworks. The thing should expand, but might not actually break anywhere... think the "Gremlin" but worse.
    Open it back up. Be careful.
    Take picture of the inside.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We are breathless...
    Have you made your decision yet?
    Whatcha gonna do?

22. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

I kicked the sh.t out of it this morning with my steel lined boots. Needless to say, I'm more relaxed now than I've been in a long long time.:)