How to do boring officey things on OSx Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olga, Jun 13, 2006.

1. olga macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Hope someone can help me here-I have a much loved iMac at home running on OS9.1 on which I wrote letters, did spreadheets etc. using Appleworks. Just bought a new MacBook for my business and found there's nothing like Appleworks there! Do I have to get iWork, Appleworks or some new software again or have I missed something as OSX is so new to me?
    Thanks

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

You do have text edit for the basics already, stay away from Appleworks. I'm guessing that iWork is going to be of no use as it has no spreadsheet and pages is not really like word imo.

I suggest you get Microsoft office for Mac, either standard edition or the student version if allowed. In my opinion it is better than Office for Windows :)

Link There is also on the site a trail download :)

3. timmac macrumors member

If you have a broadband connection, and if you aren't working with sensitive data, you may want to try think free office. It's a web-based office suite. My limited experience with it has been good so far.

Also, for spreadsheets, google recently released a beta of its spreadsheet. I don't have the url, but I'm sure you could google it. :D Right now, it's invitation only, but I signed up last week for an invitation, and I received one in a few hours.

4. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I use NeoOffice, but the Intel version is only in Alpha at the moment.

5. olga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou

Thanks everybody for speedy replies!!!I had no idea it will be so quick!! Now I have a bit of an idea what to do... :)