How to do Fullscreen VLC on 2nd Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcmike100, May 14, 2005.

1. mcmike100 macrumors member

I have my PB connected to my TV, and I'm trying to watch VLC in fullscreen on the TV. I drag the window onto the TV but when I hit fullscreen it goes to fullscreen on the PB.

Any ideas?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Are you running VLC in Tiger? VLC currently doesn't support video device support (nor any support, for that matter)

In Panther, load up a movie into VLC. Select the second monitor in the Video Device selection in the Video menu. That should allow for fullscreen in the monitor of your choice.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Set it fullscreen on the Powerbook monitor, and press F7; this enables mirroring. When the movie has finished, press F7 again to be returned to normal.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

When needed I do exactly what Brap just suggested. And if you're running Tiger, there's a bug in VLC which causes it unexpectedly quit when coming out of full screen mode.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

is there any way to do this on a desktop? i'm about to buy a second display for my imac, and i hadn't even thought about this :eek:

munkle: yep, i discovered the full-size screen bug today too. now i make a mental note to look at the time on the controller before i exit full screen!

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Here's how you do it in Panther (aka Mac OS 10.3). Once the 2nd monitor has been detected by the OS, open the file you want to play. Then under Video in the menu bar there is a sub selection video device. Select the device that's the resolution of the 2nd monitor. Now just select full screen like regular and off you go.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Install the 0.8.2 beta :cool:

Edit: I withdraw that suggestion, it's unstable.

8. mcmike100 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'm using Tiger, and I'd prefer not to use mirroring since I like having the controls on my PB monitor to fast-forward and such while it's playing on the TV.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

9. spiffyguy macrumors newbie

Yah

What I do in Tiger is drag the video to the second monitor and press the two keys "Cmd - 3." That will make the video the size of the monitor resolution. It's not full screen but it is a loophole until VLC releases an update for Tiger.

Oh and I have noticed that sometimes you can switch between the controller and the viewer window and the menu items to choose the second monitor will become selectable again. I have been able to repeat that process with a 50% success rate. Doesn't seem to work on all movies for me so I just use the "Cmd - 3" thing :)

Hope this helps!

- Matt
    spiffyguy@propass.com