How to download bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kenny1811, Aug 17, 2008.

1. macrumors member

What do i need to download bootcamp? Does it cost money?

2. macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

bootcamp is free - ill give you the link :D enhoy Both OS's ok??

heres the link: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

and if you are already running leopard - ALL you need to do is insert the leopard disk and everything you need is on there!!!!

3. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot download Bootcamp. It is built into Leopard. The beta version for Tiger has expired and is no longer available.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Leopard discs

What leopard disc? It came with 2 discs ( installation 1 &2) Which one do i insert?

5. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Neither. Run the boot camp assistant in your utilities folder.

6. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Like ^^^ said, neither. Run the utility and be sure to print the instructions. After you install windows, you'll insert Disc 1 to install the drivers.

7. macrumors newbie

So you'll have to burn a CD with the drivers for Windows? How am I suppose to do that with an Air?:p

8. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. The drivers are on the Leopard DVD. How are you going to install Windows on an Air?

9. macrumors newbie

I guess remote disc won't work? I guess I'll borrow my friends superdrive..

10. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I don't know for sure, but since it installs windows like it's a normal PC, I'm guessing that Remote Disc will not work.

11. macrumors newbie

well i got as far as "start windows installation"

its telling me: You'll need an authentic 32-bit Microsoft Windows XP home edition or professional with service pack 2 or later, OR windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate disc."

than after ive put that disk in, i can insert my Mac OS X Leopard disk to install additional drivers and other software

so i did like it says above and just inserted my leopard disk 1, says that "the installer disk could not be found. insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized"

any solutions?
    or am i just missing something?

12. macrumors 6502a

You're missing something.

What boot camp does is install Windows alongside OSX. Meaning that you need a copy of Windows to install. The installer disc its asking for is a Windows disc. Once Windows is installed, and you're booted into Windows, then you put in the Leopard disc.

13. macrumors newbie

hey, thanks for the quick response Knolly

one final question, i managed to get my hands on a burnt version of Windows xp service pack 2, i installed it and everything was going well until i tried to get into the Windows partition,

some sort of read disk error or something, followed by the big black screen with the "Press any key to restart" - ( and no keys will restart it )

the disk installed fine
    and everything was going well, but i just cant get into that partition

14. macrumors member

When Windows was installing did you have it reformat the partition or did you leave the partition alone?

15. macrumors P6

Peace

reboot while holding down the option key. Two hard drives should show up.

On the left it will say Macintosh HD and on the right it should say Windows.

Click on the one that says windows and there ya go.

16. macrumors newbie

My boot camp assistant does not work when i choose how much windows space I need then it says:
    Verification Failed. This disk could not be partitioned

HELP! PLEASE!!!!!

This is so frustrating :mad:

17. macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

You may not have enough continuous space on your HD to create a new partition. Move some big files off your HD and try again.

18. macrumors newbie

Tried that but thanks, I have 80G available, I says to try and repair it in Disk Utility but it is not read as a disk and I can not repair it.

Can some please some how send it to me or give me a link to download it because my Boot Camp Assistant no longer works.

19. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It sounds like your problem is the hard drive, not BCA.

Backup your drive through Time Machine or cloning, then reformat, and restore. If the restore fails, or BCA still doesn't work, then there is something wrong with the drive.

20. macrumors newbie

What???

I tried installing Boot Camp not too long ago and it didn't partition right. I've been trying to delete the Boot Camp drive that is taking up 50GB of space. Someone suggested going into the Boot Camp Assistant, but when I try to open it, it tells me "Beta has expired". How do I fix this?

21. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you running 10.4?

You can erase the partition using Disk Utility, then resize the HFS partition to take up the entire drive.

22. macrumors newbie

So, if I have installed windows 7 and want sound but have no snowlepord cd becouse I never take the any CD with me since I got the internet. I'm screwed? Why in this day and age do I need a CD to install anythingh? This is just BS.

23. macrumors newbie

Ahoooy!

I have a question SIR!

So I've read some of the discussions above and it seems that I'm having a similar problem. But I just want to clarify something...

I downloaded the trial version of PARALLEL and it was asking about the disk (windows?)

does this mean that I have to buy the Windows 7 disk to get it working in parallel with my Mac?

and Do I also need my Mac installation disk in this process? (BEcause I can't seem to find it...) lawl...

I hope I make sense... lol first post on this forums thingy...

but that is all... :O

24. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you need to buy Windows in order for it to work with Parallels, but you don't need the OS X disc.

25. macrumors newbie

Download Bootcamp 3.1 link

Newest version of Bootcamps can be found here, just in case you dont have a Hard Copy of Leopard on disk...

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

run it after windows has installed, i recommend running Windows Update after bootcamp / apple updates are complete.