How To Download Normally in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PYR0M310N, Feb 16, 2007.

1. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Recently my ibook G4 1gb ram has been crashing everytime that i try to download something from the internet. it isn't a full system crash but does crash all of safari which means i lose everything i was doing at that point whihc is very irriatating.

this only happens when i press a link of something directly, but not if i ctrl+click and download linked file. i have already reinstalled safari using pacifist and tried it through different users, so i am completely baffled now!

any help i am hugely thankful for!

2. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I only see three possibilities.

1. You're using an unstable build of Webkit instead of normal Safari — but you'd know if you were.

2. You have installed some kind of Safari plug-in. Many of these cause Safari to crash.

3. You have a hardware problem (like a bad hard disk or memory).

3. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

well i have the version of safari from the disks so that isn't the problem, and i don't have any plug-ins. so must be the hardware, i guess i will have to just live with it in this case as it's out of warranty and i'm not in a position to replace it any time soon

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you create a new account (System Preferences->Accounts, click the "+" button) and log into that, do you still see this problem? If not, it's likely a preferences issue in your account.

5. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i created a new account and it worked fine in that, but i don't really want to change all my user settings over and all the files as this will take ages. can anyone else think of a solution