How to download videos from websites?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jul 2, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi, How can I download embedded video from websites? I fI ctrl-click and select download link target.. then nothing happens, are then any programs which allow me to download videos from websites, even if the site is on a secure server.

Thanks

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Not sure about secure servers, but for normal ones just go to View > Source, search through the page's source, get the URL of the media, and use a downloader program (check Macupdate.com) to download it. If you have a direct link to the media, just enter it into your chosen downloader.

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, doesn't seem to work, is it possible to load the page with the video then find it in safaris temporary files etc.??

4. croshtique macrumors 6502

Try finding the URL of the movie in the page's source, paste that URL into Safari's address bar and hit alt-return to download it.

5. ezkimo macrumors regular

What kind of movie are we talking about? If its a quicktime compatible movie, and you happen to have quicktime pro (not sure about the normal version, it might work too), you can click the little down pointing arrow on the movie control bar and save as source...

6. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

There was an article I read in a MacWorld about 3-4 months ago that went over this. I no longer have the magazine but I believe that the gist of it was to download this program called TinkerTool so you can make invisible files visible and finding a temporary file that is created when you download the video. You might want to do a search on MacWorld.com and see if the article is online.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Try opening your activity viewer (Window>Activity) and searching for the movie file in the list. Then option+double-click it. This will save it to your computer.

8. Switzermac macrumors regular

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

To do which? The method I described doesn't require QT Pro. A lot quicker than digging through HTML source. And I did learn it from someone else on these forums!

10. Switzermac macrumors regular

how come you are a regular and you have an avatar

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Cuz I kick so much ass! ;)

No, I won an avatar contest a while back there. You'd think I woulda gone legit by now but I guess not!

12. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for this, definatey the best method, works every time.

13. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

Is there a better way of doing this? For example I want to download the embedded video from this page. Real Player downloader does not recognize this video like it does for my youtube videos.

14. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

Also cannot find the file in the activity bar on Safari.