Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
OP, I posted in the other Now Playing thread a while back, sorry for the late response. Here is my old post

"Originally Posted by natd1993
Perfect little app, thanks heghead. Do ya think you could add iTunes artwork to the notification?

Your Response
I would LOVE to be able to do that!

...but...

I have looked it and without editing Mountain Lion's core files, it is impossible to customize the icon which is shown. It must be the app's icon.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion"

Anyway, I've found an app called DockArt that automatically changes the iTunes icon to the current songs album art. Is there some way that this would enable you to implement the requested feature. Just a thought. Thanks.

Link to DockArt: http://www.splook.com/Software/DockArt.html

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
Is this broken in 10.8.2? Cannot seem to get it to notify me of track changes :/

heghead

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Australia
NowPlaying on the AppStore??!!

Hi All!

I've teamed up with an extremely experienced developer, and created a new version of NowPlaying which... wait for it...

IS NOW ON THE APP STORE!!!

Pretty good news, I know. It's now available for download. Due to copyright issues, we've had to rename it to "Listening To" and give it a new logo.

We've worked hard to make it as stable and efficient as possible. Consider this an ultra refined/premium version of NowPlaying which is easier to update, uses less system resources, is more responsive and will be heavily supported.

Currently v1.0 only supports iTunes, however version 1.1 will be released very soon and will add Spotify support and a few other little features.

For anyone who would rather continue using NowPlaying, I will leave the MediaFire link online.

For everyone else, here's the link to the AppStore version!
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/listening-to/id553010133?mt=12

Thanks to everyone for your interest in this project.

Cheers!!!

Heghead

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hi All!

I've teamed up with an extremely experienced developer, and created a new version of NowPlaying which... wait for it...

IS NOW ON THE APP STORE!!!

Pretty good news, I know. It's now available for download. Due to copyright issues, we've had to rename it to "Listening To" and give it a new logo.....For everyone else, here's the link to the AppStore version!
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/listening-to/id553010133?mt=12...

Heghead

Could you please add history (enable recent 1, 5 10 or 20 items (songs) selectable in) in notifications? I will pay the instant you do.;)

I'll pay anyway when it's updated but would love to have this.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Could you please add history (enable recent 1, 5 10 or 20 items (songs) selectable in) in notifications? I will pay the instant you do.;)

I'll pay anyway when it's updated but would love to have this.

I'll look into adding that. (I'm the developer of Listening To)

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I bought it and it works with iTunes but not Spotify in 10.8.2 Build 12C35.

Heghead mentioned that 1.0 supports iTunes only - we found some bugs in the original NowPlaying app's Spotify support and we delayed Spotify support to fix the bugs. It'll be in the Listening To 1.1 update which should be coming shortly.

Colombianito

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Heghead mentioned that 1.0 supports iTunes only - we found some bugs in the original NowPlaying app's Spotify support and we delayed Spotify support to fix the bugs. It'll be in the Listening To 1.1 update which should be coming shortly.

I had missed that, thanks.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
Are you guys going to make it so that with the new app, the user can choose to show/not show the taskbar icon? it is annoying to have up there for us minimalists....

Now Playing never had that taskbar icon...

I honestly would not have spent the $1.99 if I knew I would have to live with a taskbar icon :/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 11.43.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 11.43.38 AM.png
    818.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Are you guys going to make it so that with the new app, the user can choose to show/not show the taskbar icon? it is annoying to have up there for us minimalists....

Now Playing never had that taskbar icon...

I honestly would not have spent the $1.99 if I knew I would have to live with a taskbar icon :/

I'm sorry to hear that - I'm the developer of Listening To. how would you suggest we allow access to preferences like start at login and toggling spotify support (which is a part of the coming 1.1 update) without a menubar icon? If there's a workable solution for this I wouldn't mind adding this feature to a future version.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
I'm sorry to hear that - I'm the developer of Listening To. how would you suggest we allow access to preferences like start at login and toggling spotify support (which is a part of the coming 1.1 update) without a menubar icon? If there's a workable solution for this I wouldn't mind adding this feature to a future version.

How did you guys do it with Now Playing?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC

Do it like Growl does: once you choose the option to run with no menubar icon, you relaunch the application in order to access preferences. It's still running in the background, so "relaunching" just opens the currently running instance.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
Do it like Growl does: once you choose the option to run with no menubar icon, you relaunch the application in order to access preferences.

Yeah or that. Some people actually like to load up their menubars and Docks. But if it's your style to keep that to a minimum, it's awesome when applications allow no menubar icons.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Do it like Growl does: once you choose the option to run with no menubar icon, you relaunch the application in order to access preferences. It's still running in the background, so "relaunching" just opens the currently running instance.

Yeah or that. Some people actually like to load up their menubars and Docks. But if it's your style to keep that to a minimum, it's awesome when applications allow no menubar icons.

Gotcha - we'll add this feature, but it's too late to add it to the 1.1 update. I'll keep you posted.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
Yeah. We like the logo. Unless there's a good reason to change it, we'll keep it.

I wasn't knocking it or anything, just curious if it was ever possible to go back to the Now Playing logo? Or is that a copyright issue with Apple?

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I wasn't knocking it or anything, just curious if it was ever possible to go back to the Now Playing logo? Or is that a copyright issue with Apple?

We can't hijack the iTunes icon, also we're going for a unified icon for Spotify and iTunes notifications, and the current icon says "Music" regardless of source quite nicely.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
We can't hijack the iTunes icon, also we're going for a unified icon for Spotify and iTunes notifications, and the current icon says "Music" regardless of source quite nicely.

I understand.

----------

With that in mind, are you guys planning on continuing to develop Now Playing? With the latest second build of 10.8.2, Spotify is broken with 1.4 of Now Playing, other than that, it works pretty well too.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I understand.

----------

With that in mind, are you guys planning on continuing to develop Now Playing? With the latest second build of 10.8.2, Spotify is broken with 1.4 of Now Playing, other than that, it works pretty well too.

NowPlaying is dead - no further development and no current or future support. Sorry.

ac3320

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
CA
NowPlaying is dead - no further development and no current or future support. Sorry.

Do you think that Apple will eventually add iTunes song changes to Notification Center natively? They used to have a special option like that in Lion, accessible with a Terminal command or if GUI is more your thing, via Onyx. It was kind of pre-NC in that it happened above the Dock. Not sure why nothing came of it with ML. Seems like something they should implement, huh? I guess I'll just roll with Now Playing or maybe Listening To PRN until Apple does it themselves!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.