Resolved How to enable native NTFS write in 10.8 Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by LinMac, Sep 22, 2012.

1. LinMac, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to force NTFS read/write natively under OSX 10.8?

I have tried ntfsmounter, all the various "/etc/fstab" type tricks, and a few others, but it looks like 10.8 just doesn't include the driver for this. Can anyone confirm it?

Edit: This had most of what I needed.

2. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

NTFS3G is what I am running on leopard, snow and lion. I am glad to know it works for ML as well.

3. macrumors 6502a

emir

and i am using tuxera ntfs on 10.8.2. i haven't encountered any problems yet. Although i can't believe Apple still doesn't have NTFS write support out of the box

4. macrumors newbie

page404

A method which works flawlessly for me is Paragon NTFS. Will cost you a few $$$ but setup is foolproof and I haven't encountered any issues yet.

5. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft format.

6. macrumors regular

Then why can Linux write to it?

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

8. macrumors regular

Well it's still embarrassing/helpless when I'm given a USB stick to write to, and it's formatted as NTFS. And the guy who gave it to me is a Linux user who dislikes Windows, no less.

9. macrumors member

gnurf

The other alternative for USB sticks is ExFAT. Strange that a Linux user doesn't know about it ;)

10. macrumors member

Don't point out flaws in fanboi positions...

Just as Win should play well with other file formats, so should Apple, a heck of a lot of NTFS drives out there - especially if you move large files btw cameras, entertainment units etc. Childish to refuse to cross-license.

11. macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I completely agree. Windows also should be able to read/write HFS+ & HFS+J. Someone should tell Apple and Microsoft that the format of a file system has literally zero impact on the device and OS we choose to adopt. So aggravating that it's still an issue in 2013.

----------

Same here (bc I'm a dick and refuse to pay for it and there's no working crack for the latest paragon solution).

12. dyn
    macrumors 68000

That highly depends on the distro you are using. Most do not have this functionality by default. It requires the user to install ntfs-3g which you can also use on OS X (and any other UNIX/Linux operating system). Tuxera is the commercial version of ntfs-3g and seems to be faster and more stable (Paragorn is its competitor btw).

However, ntfs is still proprietary stuff. The reason non-Windows systems can use it is very simple: it's the same as with formats like .doc/xls/etc. and smb/cifs: somebody has reverse engineered it and another has created an implementation from it (ntfs-3g, OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, Samba).

13. macrumors regular

Problem is that NTFS write support has to be fully stable, I can't rely on errors. I did download once such a free driver from Sourceforge, and when I would insert an NTFS drive, sometimes it would work, but most often it would lock up OSX. Good thing it had an uninstall script with it…