How to encode DVD audio to play from Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sdschwendener, Oct 21, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2007
    How would I go about encoding the audio from a dvd audio disk with all the channels preserved then play it out of my apple tv.. all from a Mac?

Can the apple tv even play multi channel audio or does it have to be in a video file?

Any ideas?
  2. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2007
    I wish I could get any kind of a response on this.. technical or just an opinion or recommendation. The thing is that in the USA SACD and DVD-Audio is rather rare to stumble upon but I'm considering importing a number of DVD-Audio disks which have the audio mastered in several channels.

I think it would be totally worth it to get a handful of albums in real surround sound but like most everything I do, I need to be convinced before hand it is going to work. Thanks!
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2007
    I wasn't aware that either hi-def audio format was compatible with computers; I thought that they only ran in standalone players.
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2008
    If the Audio is AC3 then you should be able to create a MP4 file in Handbrake that keeps the AC3 track intact. You won't get any compression. Handbrake supports AAC multichannel but I don't think the AppleTV handles it properly right now.