How to exchange Files between XP in Parallels and OSX

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nautisch, Aug 1, 2006.

1. nautisch macrumors member

hallo there

I'm working mit matlab unter XP in parallels and it works quite fine (although i only have 512mb ram..), however

what is the easiest way to exchange files (for example plotted .jpgs) between xp/parallels and osx?

my usb stick does not work. is there any way to write/read to some partition for example with both parallels and osx?

gracias

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Easy. On the VM setup screen that appears before you actually boot Windows, click the "Edit" button, then from there select the "Shared Folders" option, make sure it's enabled, and pick a folder on your hard drive to share. Bingo--anything in that folder should be visible in Windows, and anything you put there in Windows you can get to from the MacOS. It shows up in Windows as "Parallels Shared Folders" on the desktop... I think.

3. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Agreed. This is by far the best way.

Max.

4. nautisch thread starter macrumors member

did sound too easy to be true... and actually doesnt work here
    clicked edit
    clicked shared foldes
    made sure is active
    selected folder..
    does not show up in windows.

?

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You need to install Parallels Tools for Windows. It's in the menus somewhere. Select it, and a installer will automatically start in Windows.

Other way to share files between the two is using Bonjour and the built-in file sharing facilities in Windows and OS X. It's more of a hassle to set up, but it's faster that way to transfer files.

6. ammon macrumors regular

Is this a new feature in the final product? I tried to do the same thing with one of their first Betas and I couldn't get anything to work....

7. nautisch thread starter macrumors member

jepp, with parallels tools installed it runs pretty well.

not to mention the mouse improvements..

thanks

8. bdefore macrumors newbie

Found them

Finally found my shared folders in My Network Places / Entire Network / Shared Parallels Folders (this is Win2000)

9. Shazkar macrumors newbie

I haven't done this yet, but when I install Parallels adn make a virtual machine and it asks me what format to make the partition, if I do NTFS will I still be able to share that folder?