Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I am new to iPhone and I find that none of the Apps (and the pre-installed Apps) have the choice of 'exit' or 'quit'. All I can do about exiting an App is to press the central Home button. However, I suspect that the program is still running background.

1. How to exit the program completely?
2. If I don't exit the program 'completely'. Will it consume more battery or memory running in the background?
3. If I don't exit the Camera completely, will the hardware components of the camera (e.g lens , something like that) be always ready for me and consume a lot of battery or aging it .

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You'll need to train yourself to use the iPhone as intended and just hit the home button to close the app.

If the app is frozen or behaving erratically, hit the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off appears then hold down the home button until it closes. This resets the app.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
1. How to exit the program completely?
2. If I don't exit the program 'completely'. Will it consume more battery or memory running in the background?
3. If I don't exit the Camera completely, will the hardware components of the camera (e.g lens , something like that) be always ready for me and consume a lot of battery or aging it .

It's not Windows. Just use the Home button to close it. Only certain apps will run in the background. Mostly music and streaming apps.

If you double click the home button you can see the running and recently run apps. You can close an app from there by holding your finger on the icon until the X appears and then press the X to shutdown. In practice this is rarely necessary.

The camera's fine. :)

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
You'll need to train yourself to use the iPhone as intended and just hit the home button to close the app.

If the app is frozen or behaving erratically, hit the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off appears then hold down the home button until it closes. This resets the app.

How about pressing the Home button twice to get the manual. I don't think simply hitting the Home button will exit the app completely.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Follow these steps to completely close/exit an app:

From the Home screen, click the Home button twice.
Tap and hold on the app.
When it starts to jiggle, tap the red minus sign to close it.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
It's not Windows. Just use the Home button to close it. Only certain apps will run in the background. Mostly music and streaming apps.

If you double click the home button you can see the running and recently run apps. You can close an app from there by holding your finger on the icon until the X appears and then press the X to shutdown. In practice this is rarely necessary.

The camera's fine. :)

Yes, I learnt your second method before (double click the home button....)
but why this is necessary when simply hitting the Home button is sufficient

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yes, I learnt your second method before (double click the home button....)
but why this is necessary when simply hitting the Home button is sufficient

If you have an app that is shut down but still running in the background like a poorly designed music, radio app etc. it might be necessary other than totally shutting down the phone. It does sometimes happen.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
nice read, makes it so you don't have to clear the memory every 5 seconds, on Android you almost always have to close apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.