how to export playlist from one mac to another?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mcadam, Sep 22, 2005.

1. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I've just made a clean install of tiger on my pb...

The only prob I have now is that all my playlists in iTunes are obviously gone. I still have a bootable clone of the old system on my external drive.

So, is there any way I can export the playlists from that to my new system?

Hope someone can help.

A

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try replacing your current iTunes Library data file (in the iTunes folder within your music folder) with the old one but unless the music is in exactly the same positions that it was in to start with (on the old drive), this won't work and you will get little grey exclamation marks next to all of your songs and they won't be able to play.

Maybe quit iTunes, rename your new data file with a bracketed (old) suffix or something (whatever will do), put the actual old one in and then open iTunes again. Try to play a song. If you get the grey mark and no song, quit iTunes, ditch the old data file and rename the new one to what it originally was. Otherwise you'll have to reimport all of your music again. :(

3. mcadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Mad jew - everybody should have you sitting next to them holding their hand whenever they did a clean install ;)

It worked. Almost, at least. 50-60 of the songs have gone missing, but that's out of 2069, so I think it's worth it... funny thing is I can't figure out why exactly these songs have become displaced... well, I'll look into that.

So thank you very much (again :))

A

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problem. I'm guessing the songs you transferred across that didn't work (weren't recognised) didn't have the correct ID3 tags. Sometimes it's worthwhile converting the ID3 tags and then consolidating the library before transferring it (both from the Advanced menu). Something for next time. :)

Still, 2000 out of 2070 isn't bad. :D