How to Extract Clips from Promotional DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chasealicious, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

I work with the campus programming board at the University of South Carolina. We're having Bob Saget on campus in October, and the programming board wants me to throw together a quick one-minute promotional video for us to show at other events advertising his appearance.

His agency sent me two DVD's featuring clips of Saget, but the DVD is in a playable format and does not have any .dv or .mpeg files I can use.

What kind of process can I use to extract clips from the DVD that I'll be able to use in FCP?

2. Joe K macrumors newbie

I had to do something similar for a client using some footage he sent in dvd
    1) use handbrake, http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=24, to extract what you want out of the dvd

2) use quicktime to export to dv stream the mp4 file that handbrake creates

you should be able to use that file in FC

*note: handbrake by default will make your video 640x480 you have to uncheck the keep aspect ratio, in the picture settings button, to make the output the same as the input 720x480, also I used constant quality 100% and is not that bad, its usable.

G

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are these commercial DVDs (like you'd buy in the store) or are they DVDs that Saget's people just tossed some clips on and sent you? If they aren't commercial DVDs they probably don't have macrovision on them and you can just record them onto DV and then capture them in Final Cut.

Lethal

4. Chasealicious thread starter macrumors member

Chasealicious

They're not commercial DVD's, however they do appear to be mass-produced and used to advertise Saget as a performer.

5. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

When you use handbrake, make sure you also select the "Deinterlace" function. It makes the image look much better.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd give dubbing a shot and if that doesn't work than ripping it is your only option.

Deinterlacing in this instance is pointless 'cause the final output is interlaced video, also it would unnecessary degrade the image because deinterlacing, basically, throws away half of the vertical resolution of the image. There are times when deinterlacing is useful but this isn't one of them.

Lethal