How to figure our router password?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dscan99, Jul 12, 2006.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

I'm at a friend's place that has wireless internet .. they had the ISP guy set their router password and they have no idea what it is. Their iBook automatically detects it and doesn't prompt for a password everytime so things work fine on their iBook.

Now I have my iBook and would love to get some network connectivity happenning... but they dont know what the password is. :(

How can I solve this problem? :)

TIA.

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

unfortunetly, as far as i know, you have to know the password to get into the network, or even reset the password. I would check to router manufacturer's website to see what the standard password is, because that may have been the password that the ISP guy set.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The other option is to crack the key....But I can't talk about that type of thing here. ;) Just phone the ISP and they should be able to tell you it should not take long. :)

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Use the hardware reset to put it back to factory default. It's not enough to push the reset button, hold it down for 10 seconds right after plugging it in. What kind of router is it? Most routers have default passwords that are publically known--maybe the ISP guy didn't change it. Linksys routers are usually admin/admin

5. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

You are talking two different things at the same time.

For the wierless protection password (WEP or WAP) I think you can go to your friend keychain and look for it, it is stored there.

As for the the password to get into the router as someone said depends on the manufaturer the default password should be with the user manual.

Hope this hepl you.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Mr. G4 here has your answer, since all you want to do is connect to the internet:
    Assuming all you want to do is connect your laptop to their router, all you need is the key off their laptop, which is stored in the Keychain, and can be accessed by finding the correct entry in Keychain Access.app (it's in the Utilities Folder). Double click on the relevant entry, check the "Show Password" box, and enter the password for their account on the computer. Use that key on your iBook, and you're good to go.

If you want to adjust the router settings for some reason, THEN you need the router's admin password, which is what most of the posts here have been suggesting. (As said, if the ISP set it up, it's probably still the default password--you can find the default in the manual and try it easily enough).

[Edit: Clarified what I was saying, so it didn't sound as unintentionally haughty as the original poorly-thought-out phrasing did.]

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks, none of those suggestions had already been mentioned. :rolleyes:

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Come on ... There's a lot to be said for explaining the same thing in different (or perhaps more understandable) terms.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being quite serious.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Now that I look at my post, I realize that the way I phrased it looks a little funny, but what I was actually doing was quoting Mr. G4, who seemed to be answering the question the original poster was actually asking, and pointing out that it was the answer to be paying attention to. I then repeated what everybody had been saying about getting the router password, just to be thorough, and gave a more detailed explanation of how to extract the info from the Keychain, which might not be obvious if you've never used Keychain Access before.

I shall now edit my original post to clairify where I was attempting to give credit...