How to Fix Horizontal Lines on Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Spymit007, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

Hey all, I have a Rev. A Titanium Powerbook 400Mhz. It has been with me for the past 4 years and has been rock solid and reliable. Lately though, horizontal lines of varying color (white, blue, red, etc) have started showing up. Before, I could just adjust the screen back and forth and the lines would go away but now no matter how I adjust it, the lines remain.

I don't plan on getting on a new computer for at least another year. Until then, is there any way to fix these lines without having to replace the entire screen? Thanks!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If the lines come and go, it might not be a screen problem, it might be an issue with your graphics card or maybe even software somewhere. If you can hook it up to an external monitor and see if you get the same problems.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sounds more like a connection problem. Check the cables, or, unfortunately, something may have gotten crimped in the connection.

Edit: I just freaked myself out. As I popped my keyboard to look to see if I could see the video cables, I look up and my screen is black (I use an external, so could still type). Thinking I had just fried something, I did a quick check and saw that I had simply dimmed the screen when I picked up the keyboard. Whew!

4. Spymit007 thread starter macrumors regular

Spymit007

Ok, so I hooked my powerbook up to an external monitor and there were no lines on the monitor. So does this mean that it could STILL be a connection problem or is my screen just really messed up?

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's very likely the flat video cable that runs from the video card on the mother board to the LCD display. After so many thousands of times of opening and closing the display you can eventually develop a problem.

6. Spymit007 thread starter macrumors regular

Spymit007

Is there any way to fix this aside from replacing the entire powerbook screen?

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would take it to an authorized repair center and have them diagnose it and give you an estimate for repairs. Some places will do the estimate for free.

8. powerbookmedic macrumors member

Lines on the screen on the screen of the Titanium Powerbook are an issue with the display, and the problem requires a replacement display. Sometimes the issue could be the video cable as well, but 95% of the time it is the LCD itself.

We sell these parts at our online store, PowerbookMedic.com

-Bradley
    PowerbookMedic.com

Powerbook Parts, Repairs, Upgrades, & More

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Mine had this problem when I first got it. And then it went away with the next OSX update.