How to flip (left to right) screen

Discussion in 'OS X' started by zanax, Sep 2, 2011.

1. zanax, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

macrumors newbie

May 6, 2010
    I am trying to make a DIY heads up display (HUD) for my car using a macmini onboard. The problem is I want to project the screen image onto my windshield and it appears flipped (left to right) since it is a reflection of my screen. So I am looking for a app or a built-in config option that will allow me to flip the screen image so that when finally viewed as a reflection on the windshield it will appear corrected.
    I am not a programmer and know nothing about coding so I am unable to troubleshoot this. However I also have a linux box (running Ubuntu) and I know that you can play with something called "XRANDR" and put "-x or -y" to flip the screen image left to right or top to bottom. Wondering if mac would have some feature like that. Googling didn't help much.
    Any pointers would be helpful.

What I am NOT looking for is:
    1> simple screen mirroring
    2> rotation of screen image 90, 180 degrees etc.

My macmini runs Snow leopard, intelmac, w/AMD Radeon HD 6630 graphics
  2. mrgraff, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    I know that MAME on the PC has a command line switch that allows for horizontal flipping, so that you can play video games in a cabinet with mirrors. I wonder if the MacMAME port has the same setting, and if so how, it'd be interesting to see how it is implemented. Maybe digging around in might help. You might have to learn a little coding before tackling this project...