How to Format a USB drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by CrackedButter, Apr 5, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

How do you format a USB drive in OSX? I've tried looking and its no use, so far it isn't a problem but i would like to know how to do it.

Also anybody recommend a decent zip program with a GUI, i'm not ready for the command line yet so i don't want any that use it.

thanks.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ok Cracked-head... heh... To format the drive, the OS X Dsk Utility should do the trick (applications/utilities/). If not, check the drive makers web site to see if they have OS X utilities specific for the drive. I hate companies like that, the drive should react as any other drive, especially for OS X.

As for a good zip application, I prefer to use Stuffit Deluxe. DropStuff can do the job, and Stuffit Deluxe has an application included called "DropZip" if you really MUST make the file/archive a .zip. If the files are going to pc people, I'd just go with DropStuff and make them self extracting for windows. That way, it won't matter what kind of decompression tool the people have, the file will still open up for them.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay thanks for the drive queston thingy.

with regard to the zipping of files, i had an issue with a file that was zipped and i had to use my windows pc to open it, i couldn't understand why either.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The latest versions of Stuffit Expander have no issues with .zip files. I've used it on them for ages. You might want to make sure that your preferences are set properly, to include the zip files as well as all others.