How to format an IDE HD for USE in MAC G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xperton3, Feb 28, 2004.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

Feb 28, 2004
    Hey guys, i have a G4 700 iMac, my HD went bad and i replaced it with a PC IDE 60GBWD HDD, the panther installer sees the drive as a MS DOS HD. It wont let me format the drive in disk utility with the panther install CD's. How do i format this drive so it works on my IMAC???
    Thanks guys
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you go to Disk Utilities you should be able to initialize the drive. If you try that do you get an error or something? It's always worked for me.
  3. iFranky macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2003
    London, England
    Get a friend... ;)

Though I can't see why it shouldn't, if this doesn't work try sticking the drive in the PowerMac of someone you know and get them to format it for you.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I also don't understand why it won't format. I've actually done that before. The 20 GB hard drive thats in my FW Ext. case was formatted for DOS. It originally came out of a Compuke.

Anyways...try and see if you can boot from the Mac OS 9 CDs and go into the Utilities Folder and then double click on Drive Setup and see if that will format your drive.

I'm really not understanding why its not working with the OS X CDs. Hmmm... Thats bummer!