how to format ibook g4 hard drive with broken optical drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by slee8251, Aug 3, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an ibook g4 with a broken dvd rom drive. I want to format my hard drive and the only way i can think of doing this is by inserting a install dvd and going into disk utility. Since I have a broken optical drive, is there another option to format my hard drive? Thanks in advance

2. MacHamster68, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

3. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Any cheap external USB DVD drive should work too if the previous poster's advice doesn't work for your situation.

4. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

ive never been able to boot a ibook form a external usb dvd..........firewire external dvd would work.

5. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've booted many different G3/G4/G5 PPC Macs from external USB DVD/RW drives. Guess not all USB optical drives work then.

6. MacHamster68, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i managed never to boot any ppc Mac of a usb dvd drive and i have quiet a few Mac's(16 with usb port) and usb dvd drives , from liteon ,lg ,panasonic and samsung none of them works for booting ,btw the panasonic and the liteon had been internal drives of 2 of my eMac's ( taken out to be replaced with second HDD) neither had i luck with usb hdd's :confused:

but i did hear that some managed to boot of usb devices on ppc Mac's

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i tried an external usb optical drive; didn't work i will try the target disc mode later on today