Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Can anyone please tell me how to format my hard drive and reinstall Panther on my iBook. I want to do a fresh install. Thank you so much….

Applespider

macrumors G4
If you're sure you don't want any of the files, then you do the following.

Insert the 'Install & Restore' disc which came with your computer (if that's your copy of Panther) and follow the instructions. It will shut down your computer and boot from the disc - alternatively, put the disc in, shut down and hold down the letter C while you turn the Mac back on.

You have the option of keeping your application and user files or a completely clean install. It's obvious which options to choose.

It does take some time to do it so be prepared to leave it running for an hour or so. The main nuisance is having to then download all the updates that there have been since your restore disc was burned!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
That won't format the hard drive. To format the hard drive, boot the CD, but don't install. Instead, open utilities and run Disk Utility. Format the drive. Then install.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
I recently stuck in my install and restore disk and did a clean and install. This claims to have wiped my drive and reinstalled the OS. Of course i backed everything up so im golden. How is that different than formatting the drive?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
A software restore can be simply a different way of formating the HD and reinstalling. The software restore will basicly take your system back to the way it was the day it was first turned on. With newer machines this will include installing things like iLife & Appleworks if you have a consumer product. Where as if your like me and have an older machine just formating and reinatalling the OS is just that the OS no additional applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.