How to FULLY restore iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mac., Sep 11, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I restored my iPhone 3G this morning via iTunes, but It still seems to display the battery percentage in the status-bar!

:confused:

2. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Don't restore from a backup.

Restore as new and then sync. Make sure you have everything synced over before restoring as new.

3. macrumors G3

Turn that off before restoring.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean I'll lose all my contacts and stuff like that?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek: I'll have to jailbreak just to turn that off then? :( this is annoying

6. macrumors demi-god

Contacts and stuff should be synced with your computer. So yeah, when you don't restore from a backup, you'll initially wind up with an iPhone that has no information on it. Then you setup iTunes to sync your stuff back, like you did when you first bought it. That's a more clean approach that restoring from a backup, as some of the data backed up could be fubar'd.

Is all of this just to turn off the battery %?

7. macrumors G3

The battery % has nothing to do with restoring from backup, and the info you have on your computer, like contacts, you can just sync over next time. Safari bookmarks, however, will be lost.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers matey.

9. macrumors G3

I hate to say it, but had you searched you would not have to go through that hassle.
    Honestly its maybe 15 minutes out of your life.

10. macrumors P6

-aggie-

It seems like you want to remove any indication that you jailbreaked, correct? If not, then you can probably remove it the way the poster above said.

Otherwise, you need to restore as new. If you have synced your contacts to the appropriate program (Outlook for Windows or Address Book for Mac), then you won't lose them when you restore as new. For added protection, use Funambol or a similar program to copy your contacts. Also, copy the itunes folder, Outlook and Address Book folders, to a safe place, so you can get them back if you screw something up.