How to fully utilize a 5-button mouse?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MegumiFX, May 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a proud new owner of a 1.5Ghz 15" PB and was playing around with its configurations to get it nice and comfortable to use. I hooked up an MS Wireless IntelliMouse, and the two buttons and scroll button work just fine... but I can't seem to get the two side-buttons to work (the ones that you typically use as a "back" & "forward" function while browsing the net). Is there ANY way to get these two side buttons to work? or will I have to simply go back to manually clicking on "back" and "forward" on the browser window?

Any help will be most GREATLY appreciated!

2. macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I have a logitech mouse which worked like yours untill I installed the "logitech control center" (cd came with the mouse) which gets its own icon in the system preferences where you can set whatever functions you want for each of the buttons...I guess there would be something similar for yours...

btw clicking on the scrollwheel I've set to "advanced click" which is necessary for a lot of programs...try clicking on a link in safari with that...

3. macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

I use mousebutton 3 and 4 to trigg expose. It's the best :D

4. macrumors 6502a

mcadam

nice one, how do you do that?

5. macrumors 68040

JFreak

6. macrumors 68000

Veldek

You can download the required software on Microsoft’s website. To use them with Exposé you can just go to the Exposé panel in System Preferences.

7. macrumors 6502a

Use the other buttons on your IntelliMouse to go back or forward in Safari or MSIE. It makes internet browsing a hell of a lot easier.

8. TBR
    macrumors 6502

Well I have a logitech mx700 with 8 buttons and they are all really useful.

I have

left click
    right click
    close window
    quit program
    send to trash
    empty trash
    open applications folder
    expose all windows show

So useful

9. macrumors 6502

What exact models do you have??

When you guys talk about wireless mice, do you mean through airport, or through the USB adapter provided with the mouse. I've been thinking about buying a wireless mouse, but they are always shipped with these USB adapters, so I don't know which models actually support Osx and Airport. Could someone who has a working model (airport, free configuration of buttons) post their exact model and a brief review of their experience?
    Thanks a lot

Sorry, I'm not trying to "hyjack" this thread ;-)

10. macrumors regular

Why would you want more buttons than you have fingers on one hand? 8 buttons? That's not a mouse, that's a blimmin keyboard on wheels!

256K is enough! Gates said so!

11. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I hate when people don't change. Even apple could use another button or two.

12. TBR
    macrumors 6502

I love this mouse, can be a little unaccurate when using photoshop though
    [​IMG]

13. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have the same mouse. Its not as nice to use in mac as it is linux or windows. I feel for "the most accurate mouse ever" (I forget which review said that) it is a little shaky in os x. It is amazing everywhere else.

14. macrumors 6502

Does this mouse support airport or do you have to use the USB-stick ???

15. macrumors 6502a

ebow

Is that a rechargable mouse? I have the M$ Wireless Intellipoint Explorer Whatever mouse, and I need to replace batteries every 45-55 days (yes, I've counted). I really wish I had a rechargable one, but I'll keep using mine until it doesn't work anymore (though I've heard M$ has a great replacement policy), or until I sell the thing.

Anyway, to MegumiFX, you'll want to do what Veldek says and get the supporting software from the Microsoft site. Then you'll be able to tell each button what to do. You can also find it through VersionTracker.com here. Note there have been a number of complaints about the latest version. I'm still using version 1.x (or maybe it's 3.x) just fine under Panther, so if you want the installer for that, send me a private message.

To nearly everyone else, (s)he knows what kinds of things he wants to do with the buttons, but he needs the software first. Doesn't anyone read?

16. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't have an airport, so I don't know.

Oh, I forgot, there is a new version of it, the mx900 I think that is is bluetooth. I don't know if it works with other bluetooth receivers, but isn't that the point of bluetooth.

17. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This is a recharable mouse, and you really have to charge it every night (espically if you use it for games). I have a standard 3-button logetch that I have in my desk just in case I forget to charge it and it dies.

My roomate has a MS Wireless Intellipoint mouse and he gets about 5-6 months before changing the batteries. He says he used the batteries that are designed for digital cameras though.

18. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I myself use the logitech marble mouse optical trackball. very accurate movement and I really like the scroll buttons over a wheel. you just have to click and hold to scroll. after a good trackball you will never go back to normal mice. all buttons are customizable.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 6502

A real response

Okay, I'm actually going to try to answer your question =P

I have the same exact mouse. In the preferences (you downloaded the microsoft mouse drivers, right?) you can set a KEYSTROKE to each button. So for the forward button you can set cmd-], and for back you can set cmd[, or whatever the real commands happen to be.

In fact, you can also set those buttons for JUST SAFARI, which is rather nice since you might want your buttons to do different things for each program.

As a hint for games, your games wont understand what those buttons are. So what you do is you set the side buttons (and center click) to be keys on your keyboard like I, O, P, etc, ones that you DONT use for your game normally. Then what you do is in the controls for your game, you can pick those keys to do whatever you wanted your mouse to do.

For instance, in Medal of Honor: Spearhead, I have I and O set for lean left and lean right in the game. In the microsoft mouse preferences I have the forward and back keys set for I and O. Now I can lean with my side buttons! I also have the center click set to R so i can reload with that button. =)

There's alot you can do with 5 buttons, and when logitech makes mac drivers for their MX 900 mouse, I'm going to be getting that so i can have 9!! =D

20. macrumors 6502

BTW

BTW, allow private messages. I was going to PM you cause there were so many silly responses to your post, but i think you have that option shut off. I hope you get to read it =)

21. macrumors 68040

JFreak

those mouse-like device pictures are ugly. and who wants to concentrate into what functions does the mouse have anyway? at least i tend to concentrate into what functionality the operation system / the app has and wouldn't want to think what button to press...

22. macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hmm, so the solution for you is what you're already doing: using a one-button mouse. Some people find the extra functionality of multi-button mice very effortless to use, once they get past a small familiarity curve. To each his or her own, eh?

23. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I had the same problem once... after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers about a dozen times it miraculously worked again

24. nmk
    macrumors member

You should try using the Logitech mouse before you dismiss it. I first thought that eight buttons would be overkill, but once I used the mouse I found that they enhanced my computing experiance. All buttons are eacy to reach. Each button can be completely customized to your needs. It saves a lot of clicking on the screen, keyboard shortcuts, and other time consuming activities. However, If you are going to stubbornly decide that one button is enough just becuase Steve Jobs thinks so, thats a seperate matter.

25. macrumors regular