How to get AIM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwhaler, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, my friend has a PC and a video camera, and he says the only way I can video chat him is if I download AIM. But how? I went to AIM.com and whenever I download it it just shows up on my desktop as aim.bin (the icon is just like a blank piece of paper) and when I click it it asks me to choose an application to open it. What do I do in a situation like this... all I really want to do is use AIM for my friend on video chat. Thanks.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You need to download Aladdin System's Stuffit Expander. http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/

I don't think the Mac version of AIM actually supports video conferencing though. Video conference between iChat and AIM can sometimes be buggy with certain network/firewall configurations, but I think that if you want to try to video conference over the AIM network you are going to have to use iChat. An alternative option would be for both of you to download Yahoo Messenger (Y!M).

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I recommend getting Adium, it covers every chat application and you can just add your screen name to it.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd just use iChat on your end, if I were you.

As an alternative, if you're willing to both sign up for service, is to use Skype as your video chat client. I've had far fewer problems going Mac<->PC than with AIM.

7. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Adium is great, but it doesn't support video chat.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

AFAIK, the only program on the Mac that supports video chat over AIM is iChat. Skype would also do video chat, but it doesn't use AIM.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its easiest if u and ur friend both switch to skype.

otherwise, ichat av will communicate with AIM @ windows, altho some users report problems with it.

10. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Thanks for the replies... iChat will not work with my friend. He has a logitech cam and says I need AIM to video with him. When I try to video chat him it will either say that there has been a communication error, or that he has declined my invitation (it says that same thing about me on his side too). Any ideas? I might want to try skype.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to your friend's webcam exactly what AIM client you're using. It sounds to me like you have a networking issue (port opening/forwarding) instead.

Take a look at this excellent troubleshooting website.