how to get current path name in finder??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dscan99, Dec 23, 2004.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

I have a finder window open. How can I tell the heirarchy of the current folder? Some sort of tree structure... perhaps, like the Windows Explorer. Yup, I'm a switcher :)

Thanks!

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

You can command-click (apple+click) the folder name in the top of the window. It will show the tree.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Also, you can Customize the Finder Toolbar and add a Path tool (among other things).

Either way works equally well, one allows for a mouse only action and the other requires a key+mouse to get the information.

4. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.. that really helps! Is there someway I can see the path as I navigate? without having to click the 'path' button in the toolbar i just customized?

5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

do you mean like column view?

Attached Files:

6. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.. I've set my finder to the column view. I meant a path display like /users/dscan99/applications/clock etc.. like you would in a unix terminal

just wondering .. but the column view is pretty useful to get a reference point.

7. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

drag the folder into a terminal window; it'll dump the path onto the command line.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Press Command+I and it will show you the path. Press Command+Option+I to open a window that will display the same thing, but instead whatever you select will be "Inspected"

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

thats so funny. I never really needed the full path to a file/folder so i never really paid attention to the "Where" title in the GetInfo pallet. Thanks for the info.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now that's a cool tip.

Hey zim, what are you doing over here? Get back to Politics where you belong! ;)

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just wanted a peek at the sun. sheesh!

:)

13. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. What genius design. Thank you.. this is a wonderful tip!!!!! as is the little download utility... Now I remember why I chose a Mac laptop!!!!

It just rocks. :)