how to get custom top bar in forum softwares?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kothrush, Apr 10, 2006.

1. kothrush macrumors member

Jul 15, 2002
    I have very limited knowledge of CSS and HTML, so I do not know if this is something very trivial.

How do you get custom top bar in your forum software/isntall like vB or PhpBB? When I install PhpBB , it has its own layout etc. so when people go to forum it loses the header links ( something like what macrumor has with tabs - mac rumor, page2, buy's guide etc). How do you maintain those tabs/headers all across your site with different softwares like wordpress for blogging/phpBB of forums and my own designed photo albums , so that visitors have consistent look for link navigation of pages ?:confused:

Thanks in advance.
  2. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    I haven't used any of that software lately, but I think you will have to do that manually. To change the style/colors you have to edit the stylesheet(s) of phpBB, wordpress, etc. To add your menus to the pages you could do a separate htm file that contains the menu, and then you could include it to the forums and such with something like this:

<?php include 'name_of_your_menu_file.htm' ?>
  3. kothrush thread starter macrumors member

Jul 15, 2002
    I am not much interested in changing style/color of the templates in wordpress/phpbb. I can always edit css file for that. But, I was interested in having a consistent top menu so that visitors can navigate through the whole site without getting confused.

Including separate html file in php code seems like a good and easy solution. I will create a small file and see if that works out in wordpress and phpBB. Thanks. Any more ideas about menu ?