how to get from Aperture 2 to 3?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pittster, Aug 24, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2007
    I originally bought Aperture 2 via download and I still have the serial number in the email that was sent to me when I bought it.

I wish to put Aperture 3 in to my new iMac.

do I.....

1 - download the 30 day trial version of Aperture 3 and enter in my Aperture 2 serial number when prompted?

2 - download the 'purchase' version of Aperture 3 through App Store and hope that because I already own V2 it will come up with something saying 'you have already purchased this item, do you still want to download'

any thoughts/ideas warmly welcomed.
  2. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Aperture 3 isn't a free upgrade to Aperture 2 users, so your old serial number won't work with it.

IIRC, before the Mac App Store, Aperture 2 users were able to buy an Aperture 3 upgrade on DVD for something like $99 (vs the $199 "full price"), but now the "full price" of Aperture 3 is less than the upgrade price.
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 2, 2007
    yep, Option #2 (somewhat).

Buy the Full version on Mac App Store.
    you can upgrade free for any 2.x but once you hit the next number it is a new purchase.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2007
    ok thanks for the replies.

am a bit confused, unless I've read it wrong one of you says it's a free upgrade from V2 to V3, but another says it's not....
  5. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I think what BJMRamage was saying is that you get free updates to the existing version. So if you're on 2.1, and 2.2 comes out, that's a free update.

When the version number to the left changes, then that's usually not a free update. i.e. you can't from from 2.anything to 3 for free.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2010
    no i think they are both saying the same thing..its going to be paid.

its free to upgrade 2.x but not to 3.0..

in other words upgrading from 2 to 2.5 would be free, but 2.5 to 3 would be paid..

for what is worth I suspect you'll probably have to pay but on the positive side apperture is great value at the moment!

damn aristobrat beat me to it lol!!
  7. macrumors 68030

May 29, 2007
    Your least expensive and least painful option to upgrade from v2 to v3 is to just buy it from the App Store for $79. There is no free upgrade from v2 to v3 and never was. Previously, the upgrade cost around $100.
  8. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2007