Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I just signed up for the Large Print subscription (which, btw, comes to only $6.60 a month) and can confirm that it does include all access to digital content. The confirmation email that I received from NYTimes states:

You now have free access to the online benefits below -- available only to home delivery subscribers.

Unlimited access to NYTimes.com.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for your BlackBerry®, iPhone®, or Android™-powered phone.
Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for iPad®, the NYTimes app for Chrome Web Store and Times Reader 2.0.
Access to The New York Times Replica Edition and The Times Archive.*

Good stuff!

My question now is whether I can use the iPhone app on more than one iPhone?

Be nice if you provided a link for this!

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
One is as close to a virtual RAG as one can get, the other is a traditional newspaper. Their pricing has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with getting their subscription base up and running. Need I remind you who is behind the manipulation of the current events for this travesty of a publication. I won't even say his name I hate him so much.

Funny because I feel the exact same way about the "Old gray lady" that you feel about Rupert Murdoch, but one thing I didn't realize is that RM was the lone grand puppetmaster who manipulates current events. Quite the contrary, ALL media does this. It doesn't matter if it is Fox News or MSNBC, NYT or WSJ...they all slant the news to keep a good story alive.

Why do you think every news outlet was saying that California was going to get hit with a 30 ft tsunami last week? Because it kept people tuned in. Why let the truth get in the way of great ratings?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Funny because I feel the exact same way about the "Old gray lady" that you feel about Rupert Murdoch, but one thing I didn't realize is that RM was the lone grand puppetmaster who manipulates current events. Quite the contrary, ALL media does this. It doesn't matter if it is Fox News or MSNBC, NYT or WSJ...they all slant the news to keep a good story alive.

Why do you think every news outlet was saying that California was going to get hit with a 30 ft tsunami last week? Because it kept people tuned in. Why let the truth get in the way of great ratings?

The news isn't liberal or conservative. Its corporate. "If it bleeds, it leads".

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Would be lovely if they in their infinite wisdom came around to fixing this. They are quite slow at almost everything they do..

Two alternate takes on the Times paywall: Wired's Felix Salmon doesn't think its worth the trouble:

Emily Bell reckons that the number of people who’ll even hit the paywall in the first place is only about 5% of the NYT’s 33 million or so unique visitors. .... let’s say that realistically the NYT is going after a universe of no more than 800,000 people that it’s going to ask to subscribe. And let’s be generous and say that 15% of them do so, paying an average of $200 per year apiece. That’s extra revenues of $24 million per year.

while Slate's Jack Shafer thinks it might work:

The pricing scheme and process by which the paper evicts its millions of squatters doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to increase revenues appreciably. If it does that, I'll be happy to call it a success.

Personally, I think the Times missed a golden opportunity here. Is there a difference between $10 a month and $20? In this case, I'd say absolutely. Because, at the end of the day, you are still talking about a digital paper - one thats costs essentially zero to deliver. That doesn't provide the customer with handy fish-wrapping material. And doesn't have a crossword.

I remember the Times Select debacle. My gut feeling is that, when push comes to shove and the NYT management sees all those wonderful iPad customers NOT signing up - they may come to their senses and make us an offer we can't refuse.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The news isn't liberal or conservative. Its corporate. "If it bleeds, it leads".

That's true to an extent. What makes the 24/7 networks lean right or left are the stories they choose to chase down.

They will all cover the core Japan story equally. The difference is that MSNBC will choose to emphasize how corporate greed caused shortcuts to be taken at the nuclear plants causing the meltdown. Fox news will choose to emphasize how al-qaeda has found a way to capture the escaping radiation in a jar & kill everyone in the state of Missouri.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I am a daily reader of the NYT online, and honestly, I have no issues with paying a fair price for access, but I am really irritated that their digital subscriptions are so clearly designed to prop up their print circulation numbers. I have ZERO desire to get the paper delivered to my door, but, as shown by this thread, the BEST deal by far includes getting a physical paper. It's also the only way to get a family subscription - with a digital only subscription you will either have to share a login (which I presume will work, but have some down-sides) or pay a minimum of $195/year per person. Not cool.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Felix Salmon is correct. It'll make the Times millions. The problem is it won't be nearly enough millions to matter.

It costs the NYT roughly $500 to $525 million per year just to get the paper published. $25 million is but a tiny fraction. In fact, it won't even really cover the lost revenues from the tens of thousands of subscribers and daily purchasers that are abandoning the paper in droves each quarter. Maybe it might for 180 days or so.

There's really no getting around the simple fact that at some point in the future, the NYT will no longer be able to afford to maintain the amount of output that "makes it the Times."

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I have ZERO desire to get the paper delivered to my door, but, as shown by this thread, the BEST deal by far includes getting a physical paper. It's also the only way to get a family subscription - with a digital only subscription you will either have to share a login (which I presume will work, but have some down-sides) or pay a minimum of $195/year per person. Not cool.

This is the real problem with the paywall plan: It's outrageously overpriced. No matter how awesome you might think the Times is, when you compare it to other services you pay for - Netflix, Hulu, even your home utilities - the Times will likely end up being one of your most expensive monthly outlays. And that just doesn't make sense in most people's minds, not for a mere newspaper.

cherdman

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
What part does not work?

The subscribe to the large-print edition and get the online free part.

I'm trying the online route as we speak...hope that works.

UPDATE: I went ahead and tried this:

i can confirm this works as well. in fact, it can be done over the web - just google "NY times large print edition" and go from there. i can confirm i received the same email noted above after registering.

Here is the link. It was $6.60/month plus sales tax. Now, the email I received was not promising:

We are very pleased to welcome you as a new subscriber, and hope you will enjoy the convenience of receiving the nation's premier newspaper first thing in the morning.

If you have any questions regarding your home delivery service, call us at 1-800-NYTIMES (1-800-698-4637) or send an e-mail to customercare@nytimes.com; please refer to your home delivery account number, which is shown below.

...and that was it...however, after just a few minutes I got this:

Dear Home Delivery Subscriber,

You have successfully connected your New York Times home delivery subscription to NYTimes.com. You now have free access to the online benefits below -- available only to home delivery subscribers.

* Unlimited access to NYTimes.com.
* Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for your BlackBerry®, iPhone®, or Android™-powered phone.
* Unlimited access to the NYTimes app for iPad®, the NYTimes app for Chrome Web Store and Times Reader 2.0.
* Access to The New York Times Replica Edition and The Times Archive.*

If you have questions or need help, e-mail us at help@nytimes.com or call Customer Care at
1-800-591-9233.

So I'm happy, but a little skeptical that this will last. I hope it does!

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Such a typically wasteful American sales model…buying something you don't want to get something you do want is cheaper than just buying what you want. If I went the cheaper route, I'd be tossing out a stack of unread papers, all delivered by gas chugging trucks, every month. Way to promote green, NYT.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Such a typically wasteful American sales model…buying something you don't want to get something you do want is cheaper than just buying what you want. If I went the cheaper route, I'd be tossing out a stack of unread papers, all delivered by gas chugging trucks, every month. Way to promote green, NYT.

Agreed. That does seem rather stupid. But like someone else said, it seems like they are trying to prop up their circulation numbers.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
This offer also includes the sunday times right?

No, they are two different offers. The first one is sunday times only (5/week), the second is large print edition only (1.65/week). For everyone's information, it does not come out to 6.60/month because it is 1.65/week but you are charged weekly, not monthly. Given that there are 52 weeks in a year this comes out to 7.15/month.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
At the risk of blowing what's been a very good deal for me I'd going to share a little secret with my other members here on MacRumors that some may find useful, especially those watching their finances about having a subscription to the NY Times and the benefits that comes along with it.

I'm going to ask also that you take this information and just try it, when the time comes and if it works, great!

I will ask only one thing of those on the forum, lets try and be discrete about this information. I don't know if discretion is possible in a public forum, but I'm willing to see if it is.

Please try and NOT to do any the following; ask me questions or quote this text, start a long debate/discussion here OR any other forum, on; how to do it, when to do it, the ethical ramifications of doing it or not doing it, don't post about your success & failure rates, or come back here wooting and fist pumping cause you got around the system and saved a few bucks.
Why?
Because the more attention paid to this will only draw attention to it, and as we all know, policies can easily be changed overnight.
Then everybody looses.
If the policy suddenly gets changed I'll know I made a big mistake.

So take the information and and see if it works out for you. I can only say this works for home delivery members, no clue if you can do this for the large print edition, but I suspect you can in the member area on the site.

Trust me, this does work and has been working for me as a Sunday only subscriber for well over a year now. It allows me full access to all of the New York Times as a fully subscribed member.
Ready?
OK, Here you go.

You can suspend your home delivery for months at a time and still receive all the benefits and access to the content.

Just go to the member area and set the dates. I think the last time I did it was for 6 months, I now have it set for till the end of the year. Every so often I will have a copy delivered for and I am charged for that one single Sunday.

That's it and good luck! Please remember, use your discretion in sharing this so we can all continue to reap the benefits of this little consumer secret.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002

Donate the paper subscription? My large print subscription is being sent to my grandmother.

Bob Sanders

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
If I sign up for the Sunday or Large Print versions do I get billed yearly, monthly or weekly? I don't wanna put in my card and get stuck with the charge for a full year.

Edit: just read above that this is billed weekly. Ignore this post

Last edited:

PoleMan14

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
If I sign up for the Sunday or Large Print versions do I get billed yearly, monthly or weekly? I don't wanna put in my card and get stuck with the charge for a full year.

Edit: just read above that this is billed weekly. Ignore this post

I believe I was just billed for the month. Works like a charm. Thanks all.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Agreed. That does seem rather stupid. But like someone else said, it seems like they are trying to prop up their circulation numbers.

+1

Having worked in placing ads in print media - it is about circulation numbers at this point in time.....

In the end I will take my large print edition to a local nursing home... and enjoy the digital side....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.