How to get iLife 04 from my new PowerBook onto my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SwitchHitter, Oct 20, 2004.

1. SwitchHitter macrumors member

I have both a new PowerBook (17in, with iLife 04) and I have a 2 year old iMac with regular iLife (but no GarageBand). How can I get a copy of my iLife 04 software from the PowerBook onto my iMac?

I tried to use the PowerBook install disks, but that didn't work..

I hate to have to go out and purchase another copy of iLife, particularly since I'm the only one using both copies (laptop when on the road) and iMac at home.

(In addition, I have the same issue with iPod/iTunes. I have loaded up all my music onto my PowerBook, since I wanted to travel with it. But now that we have the Airport Express - I want to have all my music loaded onto my old iMac and hook that into the stereo.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks.

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

well.. some one will tell you it's not in the license agreement and you'll have to buy iLife '04 :rolleyes:

i kinda dislike the fact that when i got my powerbook i didn't get a copy of iLife to go with it, i mean it came on the computer, but i didn't get a copy of it on cd so that if i were to say.. buy tiger when it comes out the only way i'd get iLife is if i went to buy it.. i imagine it is on the recovery disc that came with it, in which case there's.. a program i think called "pacifist" or something like that that will let you rip certain things out of a os x install.. maybe that's worth a try? I know i reinstalled iDVD by using one of the dvd's that came with my powerbook so you "CAN" do it.. i think it's the "application recovery" dvd.. try putting that in and installing the recovery software .. could work.. fiddle with the cd's that came with the powerbook, i'm sure it's possible

3. SwitchHitter thread starter macrumors member

I tried to use the PowerBook recovery disks in my iMac and that didn't work. I guess I could call Apple Support and see what they have to say - though my hunch is that they will say buy another edition of iLife.

Is it possible to copy the program from my Powerbook to an external hard drive and then move it over?

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ah the ease of moving programs from computer to computer with apples. well the nice thing about apple is all the application data is generally in the application folder. this is how i got iLife '04 from my PB to my old iBook G3 i gave to my little bro. since they are both for personal use and well honestly not used very often this should not infringe on the license!

you will need an external drive (such as an iPod or external hard drive, or you can open a shared folder on both of the macs using AppleTalk and enabling file sharing i will refer to whichever one of these you chose as the 'transfer drive')

1) copy the file 'Garageband' from your applications folder to the transfer drive (skip to step 4 if you are transfering most any other program)
    2) in finder open your root directory (not your home directory) then the folder Library/Application Support
    3) copy the folder 'Garageband' to the transfer drive
    4) copy files from your transfer drive to the appropriate location (same place as on old computer) to your new computer.

you will be good to go. but once you get into some hard core music production and start selling your albums on iTMS i would recomend getting a new copy of iLife 04!

as for the music collection on both computers there are three options.
    1) share your music library within iTunes. you can stream from your powerbook to your iMac to the airport express. . . the only problem i have noticed with this is when you have any 802.11b device (regular airport instead of airport extreme) with .11b it is hard to maintain multiple streams like this.
    2) copy your iTunes Music folder (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) to the transfer drive then on the new computer import music from the transfer drive.
    3) go to ipodlounge.com search around for the newest/ your favorite iPod application . . . there are a number that will allow you to copy songs FROM your iPod TO a computer.

i think that should answer your questions and then some! i hope it works out!