Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr war

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Hi All,

I'm new to the IPhone App development scene and would greatly appreciate a "pointer"!!! (programming jokes - excellent!!)

I was wondering if it is at all possible to get the contents of a text message (SMS) or e-mail into an IPhone app?

As a civil engineer i often work with 3 sets of 9 figure co-ordinates (Easting, Northing, Level) and i'm working on an App that will take these co-ordinates from the message (usually sent to me because i've left them in the office) and present them for easy viewing - better than trying to work it out from a text!!

If anyone has any top tips or has encountered any pit falls then a comment or two would go a long way!

many thanks to all...

Kay Warner.
Newbie programmer

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can't read the SMS or email databases from your app at all (at least using the official SDK, it may be possible on jailbroken phones: I know nothing about that though).

mr war

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for that robbieduncan, you've saved me a fair bit of heartache!

Although, as an alternative to actually accessing the SMS or E-Mail content directly, i was thinking there might be way to "sort" the messages?

So for example, a text message or e-mail sent from a colleague could be placed into the App, as apposed to going into the native SMS / E-mail viewer? is that possible at all?

Feel free to say if you think i'm on a hiding to nowhere with this one!!

Many thanks,

Kay

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Feel free to say if you think i'm on a hiding to nowhere with this one!!

That's basically the case: you can't do anything to the built in apps. Your only access it to open them with a new email/SMS with details provided by you filled in: you cannot open an existing message, sort the messages, jump to a specific message, delete a message etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.