Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hi all
Recently my whole itunes library was "destroyed"
Some of the songs disappeared, all my custom smart albums where deleted and.....
When I wanted to restore itunes from a timemaschine back-up it said" itunes can't be deleted....."
So I painstakingly got all what was left on a external hard drive regrouped it as I want (same artists in same folder) and Imported the 900 odd songs9About 300 missing) into iTunes.
As soon as I opened itunes my sort order was destroyed and regrouped in some not to be followed system.
IS THERE A WAY TO IMPORT MY SONGS AS I WANT?
IF not, is there a program/ app. that does?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

what you need to restore from the Time Machine backup is not the iTunes application, located at Macintosh HD/Applications, but the iTunes folder (=your iTunes library) located at Macintosh HD/Users/your_account/Music.

The iTunes application is only a software, you don't need to restore it.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hey Bruno
I hear what you are saying. After the last restore I had hardly any playlists and songs where scattered all over the librery. I do not know what happened but it did never look like in the restore.
Is there a setting that stops iTunes from taking the content of folders apart and arranges it in some programmers idea whats good or bad or can I decide how my library should look?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.