How to get money to buy a Mac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DrVu96, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DrVu96 macrumors newbie

DrVu96

Hi, I'm a longtime reader and a firsttime poster, and I need some help.

I need to make (or save up) enough money to buy a Mac. I've set up a logo design business, and I'm real good at it and all, but no one has called to even comment on it. I have set up flyers!

Well anyways, can anyone help me come up with some ideas? I was supposed to get an iBook for Christmas, but I'm not. :mad: :mad: :( .
    Now I will get up money to buy any Mac I can afford.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

invest in advertising? Web, newsprint, yellow pages...

or, get a different job. good luck

3. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Create a website and put a link to in your signature to start getting interest. I think a website would be the best way to advertise your kind of business, as you'll be able to get to more people, and it is easier to show a portfolio on your website than on a flyer!

Good luck.

::20ROGERSC::

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

-Do you have a website?
    -How have you been marketing yourself with these flyers? Do you pass them out at streetcorners?
    -Perhaps you are not targeting the correct audience....
    -Can you post a flyer here so maybe we can give you suggestions?

To save money, sell things you don't need... on ebay, wherever. That helps. Getting a job - maybe you can submit your work to a firm and work for them?

Why aren't you getting an ibook for christmas? If you don't need portability there's a much cheaper answer - MacMini or else a used mac. Will your parents help you at all?

5. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Get a job and save up like I did.

If you're lucky and can get a decent paying job for me (especially considering I'm a college student), you'll have the iBook in no time. Just don't go out to eat burgers and Chili's all the time. You'll be amazed at how much not going out to eat food will save you money. It saves a TON trust me.

6. DrVu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

DrVu96

To give you some perspective, I'm 15.

I'll try to post a copy of my flyer.. And I saw a website deal that it was $5 a month for 12 months, hosting and domain included..

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

craigslist.org

craigslist.org

Theres often alot of calls for designers on here and other similar boards, and if you play your cards right (like I do) you won't have to tell them you're 15. Make sure you get some advice from your parents about getting paid, taxes etc. coz the last thing you need is the IRS investigating you. I just made a website thecleanshot.com for a guy without ever speaking to him or seeing his face. 100% email communication. ~$1500. That's an iBook and a half.

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

$5 a month is good for hosting. look around for free deals, some of them force you to have ads, which can be bad, and others if you find a good deal can be just free! (like my web hosting i use, but it was a limited time only for free) but deffinitly get a web site up just so you can show off your work and that might get people more interested. its a lot easier for someone to e-mail you than to call.

also just ask around. talk to you parents see if they have friends with small businesses or such. or any sort of club or something that might want a new or re-designed logo.

aslo try getting a part time job somewhere. do work around the neighborhood, mow lawns, or such.

9. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Nice site.

I hopst with netfirms. $5 per month for the smallest plan (good enough for me), plus $10 for the domain name... no ads, 10 emails, it's great...
    www.netfirms.com

10. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

11. raccoons4sale macrumors newbie

Hi, I have my own web design company and hosting service. I could use all the business i can get. Anyway, i would be willing to make you a small site for free and host it on my server for no cost.

let me know if you are interested.

www.immersedesigns.com

-mike

12. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Well you might have to accept that maybe at the age of 15 you are not going to make much money through your own logo design business. Look into working at supermarkets - Albertson's, Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. Also, Chik Fil-A starts hiring at 15, or so I was told a couple years ago.

And you might even need to accept that perhaps you will not be able to get that 2000$ PowerMac or whatever you have your eyes on...does your family already own a computer? If so, I think you know yourself that this Mac you dream of is not a need, but an expensive want.

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

This is actually a really good idea. I've had a few offers just from my signature here. Haven't had the time to do them but the thought is there