How to get out of "Freeze"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mdeschenes, Feb 18, 2003.

1. mdeschenes macrumors member

My new DP 1.25 seems to freeze up a lot - especially while in Explorer, but occasionally when in other Apps. How can I get out of this freeze without having to pull the plug. I tried different keyboard commands, etc... All I get is the colourful pizza spinning around.

I cannot find a restart button on the mac keyboard. I am using my Microsoft keyboard and it does not have a reset either. I cannot find any other button on the computer besides the "on" button on the front. I don't want to keep "pulling the plug" on my computer. Surely, that can't be healthy.

Crashes of this nature occur at least once per hour.
    Anyone?
    Mike

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Command (? button), Option,escape will bring up the force quit window and that can use solve problems. By the way, get a different browser. If not Safari then at least Mozilla or Chimera. What you are using is at the bottom of most Mac User's browser choices.

Hope this helps, if not, call Apple and see what's up.

P-Worm

3. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I've never heard of an OS X crash like that. Normally if you get a 'spinny' (pizza hehe i like that :) ) you can switch to the Finder or another application via the dock and kill the offending process using Force quit in the Apple menu or the keyboard combo that P-Worm suggests.

Dont the Powermacs have a small reset button on the back?

I can definately recommend other broswers aswell - Chimera and Safari are my two.

4. unc32 macrumors regular

i've seen freezes like that when the machine tries to located folders that are no longer mounted (i.e. network problems) If you hold down the power button then the machine will turn off.

5. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I had this (but not a much as you describe) happened when I was in classic and the app didn't have enough memory allocated to render...Plus the comp. was hooked up to a network...But I don't think your hook-on a network..The first replies are true..Follow those commands and your out of a "temp" freeze...Sounds pretty weird though..

6. Mblazened macrumors regular

suggestions

never rip the plug out the back of your computer. very bad.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You got something crazy going on because OSX just doesnt crash like that, mine almost never crashes and the few times it has has been while doing a million things at once and even then only the application. maybe you got some screwed up memory?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) Rebuild Permission Database Using the Install CD
    2) Get Safari, Mozilla, or Chimera
    3) I Miss the Keyboard Power Button too, But holding the Power Button on the computer for about 5-10 sec. will shut it down.
    4) Apple+Option+Escape will open the force quit window. Also switching to another app and Conrol+Click on the offending Program then hold Option and click on Force Quit will work.

(Remember Apple has been mandating that the "Command" key be referred to as the "Apple" key (Since OS 8.5). Talk to laymen and call it "Command" they will look at you like your insane)

Nice 'Sig "Dont Hurt Me"

TEG

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Either of the two are better than calling it Open Apple...

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

thank you :) that's what i grew up on, never much cared for it. i think my mom used to call it the cloverleaf. i switched to calling it command, which is what i'll continue calling it, thank you very much apple :)

pnw

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

the command key is very simple - it is the only key on the keyboard that doesnt have its name on its face.

"Which key is the command key?"
    "The key that doesnt have it written on it, we mac users are smart you know"

long live command key, die apple key, die open apple

12. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Man, when will they bring back the "closed" apple key. It had such an invigorating feel.

just to stress it again, don't ever pull the plug on ANY computer, there are more entertaining ways to destroy a computer.
    command-option-esc will force quit
    command-control-power will reboot, if you have a power button on the machine (older desktops and all laptops)

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I seriously hope that Apple brings back the Power button on a future keyboard. It makes so much more sense than reaching under your desk to turn on your Mac. If I wanted to do that, I could have bought a DeLL.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

As long as they include the necessary copy of the original Oregon Trail with all the computers, they can bring back the Closed Apple.

15. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

This is true, but for some really messed up reason, they must think it is a selling point for their displays, since they are the ones with the power button now. I like the cool little pulsating light and all, but c'mon, I don't really need a button there. They also might think it keeps you from hiding your tower, therefore advertising the cool design to anyone that walks by.

My solution: never turn off your machine, I leave mine on at all times, rarely putting it to sleep when I have nothing going on.

16. mdeschenes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the advice. I am very embarassed to say that the main culprit was bad third party RAM by KTI. I replaced it with Samsung and everything is purring along just fine. I also dumped Explorer for Safari.

BTW: Is Chimera a better program than Safari?
    I will download it and try it out if the general feeling is positive.

I have not had to use any of the above suggestions since changing the RAM. Had no idea about the "hold down the power button X 5 to 10 secs".

Mike

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont be embarassed,OsX Loves good clean memory not 3rd party crap. If your going to have a great machine dont go cheap on the memory. glad you figured it out.