Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I used to think like that about all my gadgets, then I began to consider the little imperfections as giving my devices character, haha. :D

Rcflex

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Palm Springs, CA
Its rather small minded of you to assume we're all in the same time zone.

Oh my, Really, Your the one to talk about small minded... All you did was insult the person and tell him to go watch the news and forget about his issue he was psoting here... Why where you wasting your time posting on this thread when you could have been reading or watching the news???

William.Mantle

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Oh my, Really, Your the one to talk about small minded... All you did was insult the person and tell him to go watch the news and forget about his issue he was psoting here... Why where you wasting your time posting on this thread when you could have been reading or watching the news???

The poster asked a question on a public forum. I replied with my personal opinion on the matter.

If it causes you so much upset perhaps public forums are not something you should be part of.

Unless you believe that it should revolve around you like time itself?

Last edited:

lam93

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011

i didnt really see a problem with his post, the dude is obsessing over getting scratches on a phone, which in a year, will most likely not even be in his possession.

so yeah, he said turn on the news and see things that are really important like starving children, war, etc...

its a public forum bro, chillax

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am slightly OCD about these things. Last year I got rid of my iPhone 4 and went to Sprint. Hated it. About three months before the 4S launched I came back to ATT and purchased a used 4. It had some scratches (not terrible, but they were noticeable), but it was a good price. That "cured" me. I got a brand-spanking new 4S and no longer worry so much. I still have a case and screen protector, but I am not constantly wiping it, taking it out of the case, etc.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Just realize everything in this world is temporary. Listen to "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas. Even your perfect woman, car, or house will get blemished over time.

For me, I own multiple smartphones with multiple phone lines. I get over the OCD and even the short battery life for a couple of them real quick. If there is a blemish, oh well. I have a couple that were bought second-hand anyway. If the battery is drained, I just move onto another phone that is charged. You don't need to be polygamous with women, but you can with gadgets and OSes. And if you can't and are stuck with this OCD, I suggest to find a hobby.

Life is about the actual journey and experiences we get from it and not about the possessions we have where we will get bored of them over time and get thrown away once we are gone from this world.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
My iPhone 4 has a few tiny hairline scratches on the screen. I just learned to live with them. It's not the end of the world.

MissRachel

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
TX
I agree with everyone, that you just gotta let it get scratched/dented once and then you realize it's not such a big deal. I was really paranoid about scratches on my Apple stuff until I had to take my Macbook to Apple and the person who worked on it scratched it all to hell. I bought some polish, fixed it up as best I could, and now I don't let its appearance bother me. I mean, obviously I'm not just gonna ram my phone or my laptop against a wall but I'm not worried about scratches just "happening" anymore.

My iPhone does wear a case, though, because I'm clumsy and I know I'll drop it and break it and I'd really rather not do that.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks to everyone. I think I am realizing the following facts:

1. It's just a phone. A beautiful piece of art but a phone anyway.
2. I bought it for use it and enjoy it, not for admire it and worship it all the day.
3. That beautiful steel band and glass contains and protects the valuable hardware inside. As long I don't shatter it will work perfectly.
4. I will buy a case anyway so if I drop it accidentally it will be protected.

Anything else?

I understand your meaning in #1, but the iPhone is so much more than "just a phone": it's a handheld computer, entertainment device, communicator, etc. I suppose that's part of why many of us, myself included, tend to get too concerned about minor blemishes. The phone part is what I use the least. I'd call my Nokia from 10 years ago "just a phone". (my puppy at the time decided to make a chew toy of it one morning: he's my profile picture).

Regardless, everything in life deteriorates. A guy once told me that when he buys a new car that he deliberately takes out his knife and puts a small nick in the paint where it's not easily seen so that he won't worry about keeping it pristine. I can't bring myself to do that, but I've decided to start enjoying what I have with the knowledge that everything gets old quickly.

I've found the book, "The Paradox of Choice" to be helpful.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Use an Android and let your iPhone sit unused ;).

No seriously....some people are just OCD and being an everyday device these days, i dont get how people can be so OCD about it like that but being OCD is a problem for many people and it is kinda bizarre at times.

I dont think ive ever gave my phone a fine look over to see how many scrathches i have on it. Dont really care. My screen protector has a few divits in it from being dropped on asphalt which my screen did not break and it has a scratch on it too. I havent changed the protector and not going to.

IF i sell it when i upgrade, ill take it off then.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Personally I think a dented and scratched naked iPhone looks better than an iPhone with some ugly rubber case on it. If you think the cases look nice, then you can always put a case over it after it gets messed up. A wrecked up iPhone and a pristine iPhone look the same inside a case.

The only good reason to use a case is if you're worried about dropping your iPhone. I've had mine knocked off the table twice onto tile flooring with no damage to show for it, so this isn't a concern for me.

As far as the screen, I already have a few tiny scratches. I noticed them when the screen was OFF and the phone was under an overhead light. They cannot be seen when the screen is on - it's like they aren't there. But every screen protector I have seen obviously diminishes the quality of the screen (and scratches much more easily!) I'm not going to make my screen look worse to protect against scratches that aren't visible when the phone is in use. So I pass on those too.

Naked iPhone for me. It will get some bumps and bruises. But it's just a tool, and in about 4 years it will be a historical curiosity.

Fairfax

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Deep Web
If you get a scratch or dent on one of your apple products, sell it and buy a new apple product that is scratch free.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I like the looks of mine without a case.

Yet i find the glass very slippery by comparison. Also being fragile, this is one model I won't be sad to see go. Apples bound to do better next time.

That's what people said when the iPhone 4 was out. What did we get? The exact same design on the 4S.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I just worry about getting scratches on the screen. If any other part of my iPhone gets dinged it doesn't bother me. Nothing a case can't cover and a screen protector for the screen. :cool:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
That's what people said when the iPhone 4 was out. What did we get? The exact same design on the 4S.

Yes that's true. I guess I wasn't surprised since Apple is known for milking a model that sells, for a long time. Apple has a deep addiction to money, they could have trillions on hand and still act desperate for more.

I predicted the next one will be better based on the fact that it would be hard to make a worse one. Flat slabs of glass like the 4 & 4S use are about as slippery and breakable as it gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.