How to get quicktime to play MPEG2 video AND AUDIO?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mingspace, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mingspace macrumors member

Oct 23, 2006
    I am a new Mac user, and I bought a mac for the main purpose of video editing. However, all my files are MPEG2, and so far, I have had a very frustrating experience with trying to figure out how to play it back on Quicktime with Audio. I downloaded Pro, as well as the MPEG2 add on. It plays video fine, but can someone please tell me how to get it to play audio step by step?

Lastly, I have Final Cut and iTunes and audio won't play with the video there either. I am assuming once I have it fixed in quicktime, it will work in all other programs too?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    MPEG-2 is an output format and not intended to be edited. To edit, you should return to your source files. Owing to licensing agreement with Sorensen, the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is available at $19.99 US plus tax. Keep in mind that this is playback only. If you don't have the source files, transcoding to an editable format will result in reduced quality. There have been several utilities that are advertised as being able to transcode MPEG-2 to .mov. However, ffmpegX is probably as good as any.
  3. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2006
    I used ffmpegx to convert to .mov, and now there's no audio.....

Any help?
  4. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Oct 23, 2006

Yes, in my original thread, I said I already purchased this. Video playback is not the problem. The problem is that the audio isn't playing back. Still need help.
  5. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Oct 23, 2006
    OK, so I got this ffmpegx software to make the conversion. But I have hundreds of video files which would take forever. Just wondering if there is simply a codec I can install to play these files back with sound rather than doing a time consuming conversion on all of them...
  6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    It depends on the audio format. QT will play back .mp2 audio but not .ac3.

For mpeg2 video with ac3 audio use MPEG Streamclip.
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    There's also an AC-3 component for QuickTime out there in the wilds of the intarweb.
  8. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Bringing back an old thread. Same question applies. I have a lot of family videos that were imported on a windows pc as an mpeg-2 with ac-3.

As far as I have been looking, there is no way to play these clips with video and sound in iphoto/quicktime. I have the mpeg2 component installed so the video plays, just no audio.

If there is no way to have them playback, i'm open to converting them all to a recognizable format. However, there needs to be a way that I can keep the date created the same as the original due to organization. The other thing I would like is a way to automate it. There are 1100 clips, so i don't really want to do each one at a time.
  9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2008
    If you need them to play in Quicktime, then there is not a solution other than mass-converting them. If it is ok to play them in another application, use VLC, as it will play almost anything you throw at it.
  10. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    They do play fine in VLC, the problem is they want the clips to show up in iPhoto with all the pictures so they are organized. After continual search, I believe the only thing left to do is a mass convert. I just need to know how to convert and maintain the date created.