Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtrees5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
I just switched over from a PC to the new ibook with OS 10.4. So far, everything's better, EXCEPT --Quicktime won't play all my video files (namely, .asf files or .wmv files). So I downloaded RealPlayer-- still won't play the .asf files. So I try downloading Windows Media Player.

The WMPlayer downloaded to my desktop as a blank icon. I go and get the Stuff It Expander and drag the installer into it. Now I have a whole folder of Windows Media Player blank icons, and still no functional way to actually download WindowsMP so I can watch my .wmv and .asf files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- next I'll have to tackle the issue of why iPhoto creates 20 different folders (and versions) of every picture I upload to my computer.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Try VLC because it's free and it works with most files.

As for not being able to download WMP, can I assume you're downloading the Mac version? If you have Stuffit installed then you should be able to simply double click on the downloaded file to extract it (and eventually install). :)

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
plinkoman said:
do yourself a favor and delete real.
their software is nothing but glorified spyware
My experience using RealPlayer for my daily radio-listening pleasure is very satisfactory :)

What do mean by glorified spyware?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Real Player has been just fine for me on my Macs. It'd not like the Windows version, which is bloated and annoying.

As for the OP's question about Windows Media Player (which I also find to be a well-behaved Mac app), I've never had any trouble downloading WMP, so it is possible. Did you download it from Microsoft's website? Here's the link to Microsoft's WMP for Mac page. I've always downloaded the .bin format and it's worked fine, but if that's not working, I suppose you could also try .hqx.

bigtrees5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Thanks for all the help. I was never able to successfully download WMPlayer because of all the "blank icons" in the folder after I expanded it with Stuff It.

But "good call" to the person that suggested flip4mac.com! I downloaded the $10 "converter" and now my wmv and asf files are playing on OS X RealPlayer. And yes, RealPlayer on Windows was a virus-spawner.

Now I just have to post a new thread about the blurry text on my brand new iBook. It's driving me so crazy, I'm thinking of returning it. So far everything has been great with the switch to Mac, with the exception of these 2 problems. At least one of them is solved now.

thanks

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Glad to hear you went with the plug-in. I threw down on it too and have never looked back. It's something Apple should have included in the OS IMO, but then again they've never been big on cleaning up M$' mess.

M$ Mac Apps (except office) just seem to get older and buggier as time goes by...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.