Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Save the file, I believe Mac automatically extracts it and places folder on desktop. First you need to edit hosts file before using umbrella. After that is done, then run umbrella.jar inside the folder. You will need ECID number first, select Saurik's server or Apple and it should eventually get your SHSH from Apple and store it on Saurik's server. It takes a while. Then it will show up in Cydia when you get jailbroken.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f203/87785.htm

I have never run umbrella on my PC's, but it should work similar.

Good luck !

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Dont know what to do with the software after i downloaded it to put in the ECID. I went to the website above clicked download saved the file now im lost.

I gave you explicit instructions in the first post.

First you need to edit hosts file before using umbrella.

You do not need to edit your hosts file before using Umbrella. Simply selecting "Saurik - Cydia" and downloading your SHSH will be enough to get your phone on-file with Saurik. In fact, if you edit your hosts file, choosing "Apple" and "Saurik - Cydia" will have the same effect...you won't be able to download from Apple. With Umbrella, you only need to edit your hosts file if and when you decide to restore using the SHSH you've saved with Saurik.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I gave you explicit instructions in the first post.

You do not need to edit your hosts file before using Umbrella. Simply selecting "Saurik - Cydia" and downloading your SHSH will be enough to get your phone on-file with Saurik. In fact, if you edit your hosts file, choosing "Apple" and "Saurik - Cydia" will have the same effect...you won't be able to download from Apple. With Umbrella, you only need to edit your hosts file if and when you decide to restore using the SHSH you've saved with Saurik.

Got it. Yep now it makes sense. Thanks !

RRRize

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
My phone is at 3.1.2 but can only boot into DFU mode. Does this post basically:

1. Suggest that it's okay for me to upgrade to 3.1.3 with iTunes
2. Save the SHSH file via Umbrella (or the other 2 methods provided) and,
3. I will be able to jailbreak AND unlock my 3GS when the unreleased exploits are released?

My biggest concern is the upgrading of the phone to 3.1.3. I've kept it in this dormant and unusable state @ 3.1.2 for 2 months now waiting for the jailbreak and unlock and I don't want to make a mistake and do ANYTHING wrong now.

Thanks for your help.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
My phone is at 3.1.2 but can only boot into DFU mode. Does this post basically:

1. Suggest that it's okay for me to upgrade to 3.1.3 with iTunes
2. Save the SHSH file via Umbrella (or the other 2 methods provided) and,
3. I will be able to jailbreak AND unlock my 3GS when the unreleased exploits are released?

My biggest concern is the upgrading of the phone to 3.1.3. I've kept it in this dormant and unusable state @ 3.1.2 for 2 months now waiting for the jailbreak and unlock and I don't want to make a mistake and do ANYTHING wrong now.

Thanks for your help.

Nothing will allow you to restore to 3.1.2 if you don't already have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file. You should soon be able to jailbreak 3.1.3, however; a tool is expected in the next few weeks. Sadly, you will not be able to unlock probably until at least July, since most people don't expect another unlock to be released until 4.0.

RRRize

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Just to be crystal clear:

Upgrading to 3.1.3 through iTunes will also upgrade my bootrom, but this is totally okay because the coming new jailbreak and eventual unlock (July-ish) will overcome 3.1.3 and the most current bootrom?

Apologies for my ignorance.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Just to be crystal clear:

Upgrading to 3.1.3 through iTunes will also upgrade my bootrom, but this is totally okay because the coming new jailbreak and eventual unlock (July-ish) will overcome 3.1.3 and the most current bootrom?

Apologies for my ignorance.

well they have found an exploit so as long as it doesn't get patched by apple before the new os is released, yes they will be using it for a new jailbreak. Not sure about the unlock, but it might be a while before they unlock the new bootrom.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Nothing will allow you to restore to 3.1.2 if you don't already have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file. You should soon be able to jailbreak 3.1.3, however; a tool is expected in the next few weeks. Sadly, you will not be able to unlock probably until at least July, since most people don't expect another unlock to be released until 4.0.

Latinist: I have all my SHSH's on file with Saurik, but the local backup sounded like a good idea. However, I am getting the "that ECID is not valid" at the bottom of the form. I grabbed my ECID via USB View. It appears to be a
series of eight 0's followed by 8 characters (numbers and letters). Does this sound like an ECID format?

Where does the SHSH get stored on a PC, maybe it's here and I can't find it.

Thanks!

Update: Nevermind. I guess it didn't like the copy and paste from notepad. When I copied direct from the USB viewer it worked. Now off to find the file! And there it is, right in the Umbrella folder!! Genius

ROCKERDAN

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
i had my 3gs JB and used the "make my life easier" button on cydia.

but after that it showed my SHSH to be saved for 3.1.3 which i thought was ODD since i was on 3.1.0

3 day later my phone went into reboot mode and would not boot up....so i tried to restore it back to 3.1.0 with my shsh files from cydia. But after spoofing itunes with sauriks IP address in notepad,it still kept coming back "not eligible for this build"

worked on it for several days and finally after everything just decided id have to go to 3.1.3 and lost my jb and unlock!

so even though i did all the right steps,i could never get my shsh from cydia to RE-boot and then RE-JB my phone which really sucks.

now im updated on 3.1.3 and BB 05.12.xx from apple officially which sucks.

when i use the f0recast program it still says i can be JB as long as i saved SHSH files,which i did...

so can someone tell me how i can JB now?

i followed all the rules to a T and still was not able to re-JB mine!

thanks!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
i had my 3gs JB and used the "make my life easier" button on cydia.

but after that it showed my SHSH to be saved for 3.1.3 which i thought was ODD since i was on 3.1.0

3 day later my phone went into reboot mode and would not boot up....so i tried to restore it back to 3.1.0 with my shsh files from cydia. But after spoofing itunes with sauriks IP address in notepad,it still kept coming back "not eligible for this build"

worked on it for several days and finally after everything just decided id have to go to 3.1.3 and lost my jb and unlock!

so even though i did all the right steps,i could never get my shsh from cydia to RE-boot and then RE-JB my phone which really sucks.

now im updated on 3.1.3 and BB 05.12.xx from apple officially which sucks.

when i use the f0recast program it still says i can be JB as long as i saved SHSH files,which i did...

so can someone tell me how i can JB now?

i followed all the rules to a T and still was not able to re-JB mine!

thanks!

The reason Cydia saved 3.1.3 instead of 3.10 is because the currently signed firmware SHSH's are saved, the version of firmware you are using has zero bearing. Obviously, when you pushed "Make my life easier" Apple was only signing 3.1.3 (Since about Feb 2nd or so)

If you are currently on official Apple 3.1.3 you cannot jailbreak or unlock until some new tools are released.

If you had not done the update to 3.1.3 we possibly could have helped you, but too late now.

ROCKERDAN

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
The reason Cydia saved 3.1.3 instead of 3.10 is because the currently signed firmware SHSH's are saved, the version of firmware you are using has zero bearing. Obviously, when you pushed "Make my life easier" Apple was only signing 3.1.3 (Since about Feb 2nd or so)

If you are currently on official Apple 3.1.3 you cannot jailbreak or unlock until some new tools are released.

If you had not done the update to 3.1.3 we possibly could have helped you, but too late now.

yeah i know i cannot do much now....

but why didnt it work properly for me when i tried and did everything as i was supposed to?..i followed every tutorial to a TEE and it never would work,which is why i had to finally just go with apple/itunes restore.

is there something im missing?...it would not allow anything to go thru except 3.1.3 even though i had the IP address for saurek to fake itunes....

step by step,what did i do wrong?....i am going to try to return this phone for another from store,as i have only had it 10 days and they will give me a new one,and i think i can get another 941 serial number which should be able to break.

i just dont want to mess another one up....need to know what i did wrong.

thank you!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
yeah i know i cannot do much now....

but why didnt it work properly for me when i tried and did everything as i was supposed to?..i followed every tutorial to a TEE and it never would work,which is why i had to finally just go with apple/itunes restore.

is there something im missing?...it would not allow anything to go thru except 3.1.3 even though i had the IP address for saurek to fake itunes....

step by step,what did i do wrong?....i am going to try to return this phone for another from store,as i have only had it 10 days and they will give me a new one,and i think i can get another 941 serial number which should be able to break.

i just dont want to mess another one up....need to know what i did wrong.

thank you!

You cannot restore to 3.1 if you have 3.1.3 SHSH saved. Maybe try re-reading my previous post ??

Chiccicherry

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
Sv:

Stuipido!! So this is really worhtless:( Damn!!

So how can I restore my phone back to the 3.1.3 firmware?:confused:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
My fault! Restore to fabric installation, 3.1.2 of course...:confused::eek:

1) Restore to fabric is not an English idiom. I assume you mean something like "do a fresh restore."

2) It is not possible to restore a 3GS iPhone that has been upgraded to 3.1.3 (such as your phone) to the 3.1.2 firmware unless you saved its 3.1.2 SHSH before February 3, 2010. If you did not, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Your phone is stuck on 3.1.3 firmware or higher forever.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks a lot for this. I am apparently backed up now.

And here's a note for posterity:

4) Enter your phone's ECID into the first box (follow steps 1-4 in this tutorial to find your ECID).

(Mac.) If, like me, you follow the link to the tutorial and forget that you only needed to follow steps 1-4, you will spend a lot of time looking for a blinking cursor on the purplera1n site that probably isn't actually there anymore. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.