How to "go to desktop" like Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jesusphreak, May 29, 2006.

1. jesusphreak macrumors member

May 24, 2006
    Basically how do I minimize all Windows at once or how can I make it easier to manage multiple windows at once?

Also, where can I go to find out little Mac-specific tricks like Command-Q?

2. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Try using Exposé (F9, default). You can set it up to use hot corners in the system preferences menu so when you move the mouse to the corners it activates Exposé. Exposé will enable you to: view all windows (F9), windows from a certain app (F10), or to see the desktop (F11).
  3. mromero macrumors member

Sep 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    This might help...
  4. frenetic macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2004
    It is not exactly the same as in windows, but when for example Safari is the forefront application you can command + option + click on the desktop. Like this, all your applications (except for the finder windows that are open) will hide. Very useful shortcut.
  5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005

I`d still go for Expose with Hot Corner. It`s 10 times more convenient than anything else out there. No point is switching to OSX amd still doing things stupid windows ways.

So go to syatem prefrences, click on DASHBOARD and EXPOSE, And select hot corners for Exposing All Screens or Desktop.

I`ve set the bottom left for All Apps and Bottom right for Desktop. Works great for me. This feature only is more than enough to keep me away from WinBlows XP.:p

6. conditionals macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    Not everything in windows is stupid. For example: the desktop button.

However, every single person I know who uses windows never clicks it. Indeed, they usually don't even have it on the taskbar. Fools.
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    So...? I have that same "button" using either F11 or, more commonly, upper right hand corner using mouse gestures...

Exposé rules over any task bar button... ;)
  8. jesusphreak thread starter macrumors member

May 24, 2006
    Thanks for the answers. What is the hotkey to close a single window of an app without shutting the whole app down?

Say if I have two browser windows up and only want to close the top-most one.
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Command W will close the top most window

Command H will hide the app (rather than minimising and taking up room in the Dock)
  10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Does anyone know if you can hide individual application windows? Does hiding have to hide ALL of the windows of a programs?
  11. G99 macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    Simultaneously pressing alt and the minimise button minimises all windows of that app.
  12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You can minimize an individual application window to the Dock to hide it. The reason you can't hide individual windows is that if the application lacks a Window menu, there's no way to unhide a window hidden in this way.
  13. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Command + H......and for the poster...if the Mac had the same features as Windows there would be no ponit with the Mac....we "Think Different" and do things more efficent and faster than the Windows OS :cool:
  14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I already know about Command + H. :rolleyes:

I just want to know if you can hide individual windows without having to minimize them. I hate wanting to hide one windows of an application but hiding ALL of them when I hit Command + H.
  15. ChrisRae macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2009

in Mac OS X Lion it's a simple function key-11
  16. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    You do realise, this thread is over six years old, and the OP already got his/her question answered numerous times? How do you come upon those threads? Are you the one to answer it, seeing as you registered in 2009 and not like all the other resurrectors , who join on the day they resurrect?

EDIT: Ups, spoke too soon, this is your first post. Really ****ing strange, but maybe this is just a SPAMMER in the making.

And yes, my outlook on forum life is pessimistic and depressing.
  17. ChrisRae macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2009
  18. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    I see, another one of those you are. And yes, I am almost always unfriendly to newbies resurrecting old threads for no apparent reason. You just took me off guard, as you have been registered here since 2009, but then again, this is your first post, and such behaviour is seen quite often (once or twice a month).

No need to cure my curiosity, just go on. You will see.
  19. hafr macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    Commenting on a thread having been bumped is useless, to point out that the (an) answer has already been given as well. Doing it because you feel bumping threads is "bad manners" (or whatever made you explode) is just lacking any kind of logic, since the way you have replied in this thread causes way more harm to the forum than answering an old thread.

If you believe a thread shouldn't have been resurrected, report it to the moderators and let those who are actually taking care of the forum do what they feel should be done instead of being rude and making the forum less interesting. Or ask someone in charge if you can become a moderator so that you can lock or archive these threads. Or make the suggestion that threads older than x months should be automatically locked.

Right now you're the guy in the movie theatre, yelling at someone who forgot to turn off their phone, creating way more drama and disturbance than the ringing cell phone did.

And for what it's worth, the bumping of this thread made me learn something that I found interesting. So yeah... Chill out.

20. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Ah, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Why don't you report it, I am too lazy for that stuff.

I was just asking, why the resurrection. I never got an answer out of anyone I asked in the last years, and I asked a lot. But you are probably right anyway, why the hell should I bother and speak down on old new members.

So all in all, it got us somewhere, at least the cat is back and eats its carrots, yeah spinach is becoming boring, as is everything else here.
  21. chown33 macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    That makes no sense to me.

Instead of clicking the "Quote" button, you simply click the report icon [​IMG]. You can then write the same kind of diatribe, or be more succinct. I usually opt for the latter, such as:
    useless necropost, already answered
    code tags please
    one-line reply
    off-topic, please split to another thread
    duplicate (provide URL of dup here)
    please move to XYZ forum

It's not like the choice of which icon to click is more taxing. And once you realize that simply bringing it to the moderators' attention with a succinct statement of the issue is enough to get it handled, then reporting errant posts instead of railing against them is by far the lazier option.

Some days I report far more posts than I do replies. Some days it's only reported posts and no replies at all.
  22. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    I know how to report, I do it plenty of times. Thanks.

Again, as I have seen many posts resurrected by members with almost zero posts over the years here, with no other reason than to post something that has already been posted several times in that resurrected thread, I am still curious, what prompted that resurrection. I was more surprised by being it from a member registered here since 2009, but then I found out, that that was his or her first post, which immediately sets off my SPAMMER radar. As I had time to kill, and am probably a bit frustrated about something, I took it out on that member, though I still think, it is a SPAMMER post.
    The reason I don't report those threads, I want to see, where the poster goes to. That poster will probably already have a new account and do his/her job in another way.

Ah ****. I am the arsehole here, aren't I? And why are ass or arse not censored, but the four letter word for excrement is? There is no equality here. Those 13 year old posters certainly don't know how to poop.